The Mysterious Hero: Chapter 20

I was running.

            The thieves were much far ahead of me. My calves were on fire as I urged myself to the limit. A stinging paint shot up in my thigh, but I didn’t care. I needed to stop them.

            With much precision, my fingers unzipped my backpack that was clinging onto my back. I hastily tossed my glasses in, sifting through my belongings. I grasped my mask and once I had it, I quickly slipped it on my face. This gave me confidence, and I found myself running at a wilder speed.  

            My heart was pumping erratically, threatening to burst out of my ribcage. With every step, my feet would smack the concrete, an ache forming in my soles.

            Exhaling a puff of air, I swiped the sweat on my forehead. I could make out three figures retreating in the distance in front of me. A surge of energy flowed throughout my body, and the next thing I knew, I was zipping through the air.

            “What the hell?! We’re being followed!”

            I was just footsteps behind the thieves. They were practically in the palms of my hands. My eyes quickly evaluated which of the three to take down first. One of the thieves was lagging behind, an easy target. My hands automatically clenched, ready to fight.

            Pushing on my feet, I clung onto the back of the thief. He halted and screamed. The two other thieves flung around to see what was happening.

            My weight was heavy enough to bring the thief to the ground. Smashing his face into the concrete, I dug my knee in his back. He flailed and cursed, arms thrashing incessantly. Grabbing his hair on the back of his head, I banged his head to the ground, twice. Out cold.

            Leaping off of the crook, I faced the two other thieves who were completely stunned. When they broke out of their trance, they immediately went in defense mode.

            “Make a move, b*tch!” one of them snarled, beckoning me to come forward.

            Saying nothing, I took a step forward. They immediately took a step back. I wasn’t exactly sure how I would fight two thieves at the same time. I could multitask but that would be difficult, since it was two versus one. Improvise it is.

            Growling, I hurdled towards the nearest thief. He made a move to catch me, but I hitched my foot behind his knee, and he dropped to the ground. I kept him on the ground by standing on his back, daring the other thief to hit me.

            Instead of coming to his comrade’s rescue, he spun around and fled.

            Leaping off the thief, I made a move to follow but something gripped my ankle. My body hit the floor and I twisted to turn around, but I was held captive. 

            “B*tch, you ain’t goin’ nowhere!” the thief that I had been standing on snarled. Thrashing my arms, I attempted to escape, but he was crushing his body against mine.

            The thief sensed that I would not succumb and he jammed his knee in my wounded thigh. I could feel the wound reopening and blood oozing out. He then pulled on my hair, yanking my head back. I retained the urge to scream, but fisted my hands. He pulled my hair harder, the follicles threatening to rip out. Gasping, I squeezed my eyes, focusing on my energy. I swallowed hard, willing for the rush of energy that I needed.

            Bursts of energy gushed through my body, and I felt myself rising. Clambering to my feet, the thief clung to my back. I gripped his fat hands, pulled him off, and tossed him in the air. I watched as he flew in the air then came crashing down. He crashed into a car, the alarm going off. Rushing over to him, I could see that there was a dent in the car. The thief slumped against the vehicle, eyes closed. Pressing a finger on his neck, he still had a pulse.