Chapter 1

Warning: This book has not been edited yet. There are many errors.  Enjoy anyways! :) 

'The greatest battle is to battle your own soul, to fight the evil within yourself.'

*           *           *

Chapter One

Scanning through the rows of students, I couldn't find a single empty seat. After making awkward eye-contact with many of the students, I lower my gaze down to the floor instead.

"Rosalyn Edwards, am I right?" I tilt my head up as a nod towards my new English teacher.

I never did like first days, especially when it's my first day at a new school and new pack. All that attention was stabbing me with anxiety.

My mother just had to drag both my sister and I with her to this pack, forcing us to leave our old life behind.

She excused it as a chance to start fresh, although I never did mind our old pack. The only one who really needed a fresh break was my mother.

After all her mate, my father had died.

I wanted to be angry at her for making us leave our lives and start a new one, but I just couldn't. My heart broke when I thought of the pain she had endured when losing her mate. I was never too close with my father, it was no secret that he had never cared much for children, at least not his own. The only reason I exist is that my mother always wanted a daughter, and my younger sister was just an accident.

I still loved him though, he was after all my father.

"Would you like to say something about yourself?" the teacher asks politely.

Despite the urge to answer negatively, I smile and nod.

"Well, my name is Rosalyn, but I prefer Rose. I moved here from Canada and I'm a werewolf."

I heard some boys snicker at my last comment.

"Obviously," he comments.

Ignoring him, I look down shyly. It was no secret that I was a werewolf considering the high school is one of the few designated educational institutions for wolves. Just east of Amherst, Massachusetts, Pelham was a small town full of trees and forests, bordering the Quabbin Reservoir.

It was perfect for the Silver Heart pack as their population was small, and there were lots of free land to roam through. The lake was also a bonus for swimming and hanging around.

"Go take a seat, Rosalyn," my teacher, Mr. Rogers, instructed.

"It's Rose," I mumble quietly. Looking back at the class, I was stuck with the same problem. There are no empty seats left.

My peers stared at me like I was a freak with 3 eyes and 7 legs.

"You can sit here with me, baby." A boy in the fourth row said. He was pointing to his lap, and I almost shivered with disgust.

And we wonder why our generation is so messed up.

I ignore his offer and instead take a lone chair from the back and just sat desk-less.

"Playing hard to get, I like it." Again, I ignored his comment.

Hating someone on the first day, how classy of me.

The class was boring as Mr. Roger spent more time than necessary explaining how to insert quotations into an essay. Five minutes before the end of the class, Mr. Rogers came up to me and apologized for the lack of desks. He also promised me a seat with a desk for tomorrow.