:A Proscriptive Relationship: 25

"Teaching me how to fight?" I responded, raising my eyebrow.

"That's what I said... you aren't that bright are you?" Jeremy responded.

I ignored him, turning to Mr. Heywood. He gestured me towards him. I moved around Jeremy and walked up to him.

"Why do I need to know how to fight?" I asked him. "I mean, I know some basics but..."

"In case something like the other night happens and for some reason I'm not there to save you," Mr. Heywood explained, flicking my forehead. "I don't want to see you get seriously injured because of me."

"I'm not sure if fighting against them is the smartest idea though," I responded honestly. "Won't it just give them more of a reason to come after me?"

Jeremy scoffed. "They have reason enough already. Haven't you got into a mix with them twice already? Just knowing you know Chris is enough for them."

I frowned. That's what they said about Lance when I had told them to leave him alone the other night. What kind of people were these gangsters? Why did they hate Mr. Heywood so much?

"Mr. Heywood," I started, looking up at him.

"Chris," he corrected me.

"Chris," I said, frowning. "What exactly did you do to make them hate you so much?"

Mr. Heywood suddenly tensed, his fists tightening. "I told you already, didn't I? I left the gang."

"That's obviously not the only thing you did!"

"It is, now shut up about it."

"I'll shut up when you tell me the truth!" I argued, stepping in front of him. "Just tell me."

"Drop it, Holly."

"No!"

"Yes, now let's go," Mr. Heywood ordered, putting a hand on my shoulder, and pushing me forwards.

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me," I responded boldly.

Mr. Heywood rolled his eyes. "Jeremy, grab her and take her out the back. I'll go meet you at my house."

"Will do," Jeremy responded, appearing behind me and grabbing me. "Let's go, kid."

"No," I said firmly, keeping my ground. "I want to know why they hate Mr. Heywood so much and why, otherwise I'm not moving anywhere."

"Chris," Jeremy corrected me, putting his hands on my waist. "Now let's go."

He suddenly hoisted me off my feet and over his shoulder. I gasped, flailing my arms widly. Jeremy chuckled, placing a hand on my lower back to keep my steady.

"Let me go!" I demanded, struggling against him. "This could be considered kidnap! Chris!"

Mr. Heywood looked at me with an amused expression. "Yes, Ms. Evers?"

"Tell him to let me go!"

"Will you willingly come along then?"

I hesitated, scowling at him. "Yes..."

Mr. Heywood chuckled. "Sure you will. Go on Jeremy. And watch your hand."

Jeremy laughed. "Okay."

Jeremy left the room with me in tow. I struggled to get out of his grasp. He chuckled at my fruitless attempts.

"What is up with adults thinking I can't walk by myself?" I growled, giving up.

"Technically, I'm not an adult."