Chapter Forty Two

Isaac was driving like a complete maniac, constantly looking in his rear view mirror and then over his shoulders. He was turning corners as if we were driving on two wheels and my knuckles had turned white as I gripped the sides of my seat, I was actually clinging on for dear life.

“Sorry,” he apologised, “but the werewolf stench is so strong in the air tonight that I was told to get home and quickly. It’s almost making me choke and I feel a bit nauseous.”

I sniffed my arm and he leaned sideways, laughed and ruffled my hair.

“You’re funny, I did not mean you.”

I huffed back at him in response, his laugh made me feel rather uneasy but I could not place why.

“Are you really going to drink his blood?”

He knew.

“Yes I know, we do talk you know, it’s not only girls that gossip.”

Obviously, he was reading my mind; I don’t know how they did it.

“I’d better call him because he told me he might leave to feed tonight.”

I hated to think of Charlie feeding, it was hard to think of him as killer but I supposed he wasn’t really, he’d even told me himself, he preferred to use the feeding grounds. The way that he’d apologised yesterday was so sincere, so honest and when you compared it to Max’s poor excuses about Shelby. Max had lied right to my face and tried to make out I was in the wrong and that I was stupid. When Charlie, on the other hand, had admitted his behaviour was unacceptable and had apologised to me. No excuses were necessary and he never blamed me.

Isaac still continued to drive like a mad man as he spoke on the phone, “My Lord and Master,” he laughed, “guess who I am bringing home with me.”

He turned and winked at me.

“It’s a she, you know her and you told me you quite like her. She is quite cute with brown hair and brown eyes; she’s a bit on the short side but I know that’s how you like them. Am I ringing any bells?” he laughed and handed me the phone, “he wants to talk to you.”

He said my name as I held the phone to my ear, “Rach, is that you?”

“Hi Charlie,” it came out as almost a whisper.

“What are you doing out in the middle of the night, you should be wrapped up safe in bed? What has happened? Has that mutt done something to upset you?

I was holding back tears, the mere mention of Max’s name brought images of him kissing Shelby into my head. When they were dating they could never keep their hands off each other, they would always be in a corner somewhere making out with his hands constantly up in her shirt or under her skirt. She once laughed right in my face when I caught them almost at ‘it’ in the stationary cupboard, she told me I was frigid when she saw the look on my face. Finding them, like that had made me go bright red.

I had turned too quickly to leave, I tripped and I dropped my books in my embarrassment. I remember she’d howled with laughter as I scrambled around on the floor trying to pick up my books. She told me that it was no wonder no-one wanted me, she told me I was weird and I should have been drowned at birth. As tears formed in my eyes I looked up as Max quickly looked away, but I noticed he was not laughing along with her in fact he told her to stop being a bitch and then he went back to kissing her. A week later he had dumped her and then he had started kicking footballs at my head.

Why did just remember that.

Now he claims he loves me and yet he left my bed to speak to that psycho and he kissed her. He is a Jerk, a huge one and he will never keep it in his pants, everyone was right. I scowled at Isaac, as I thought this; because he was trying to stifle a laugh.