Chapter Thirty Eight

“So you actually saw Dreeko Max, which means he is alive.” I asked him.

Max nodded in response, “he is very alive and very pissed off with what has been happening here.”

I remembered the last time I had seen Dreeko, the pack had thrown a huge party when he was declared the packs new Alpha after he challenged, Adam, the previous alpha for control. Jason knew all the gossip and while we stood in line waiting for our turn to congratulate and bow down to accept Dreeko as our alpha, he told me what he knew.

Adam Michaels had been the perfect pack leader; he was firm but fair and powerful but kind and Carmel had immediately tried to mate with him because she wanted to gain the power and the status she believed she deserved. However Adam Michaels was not stupid and he quickly realised the game she was playing. Carmel would carefully try and her drip ideas into Adams mind; she would try and sway or change his opinions but stupidly he never said anything or do anything to stop her, and Jason could not explain why he did that. He only told me that Adam knew she was bad news.

As Adam became increasingly distant towards Carmel she began to realise that he knew her plan, to gain control through him, and this was when she started to cajole her brother Dreeko, into challenging Adam for leadership. She began to praise him which built up his confidence and he eventually went along with her ideas.

Adam, being a mans - man, never said no to Carmel when she knocked on his door in the middle of the night. She knew what made him tick and she used her skills in the bedroom to her advantage. They allowed her access into his home; into his kitchen and she began to slowly poison Adam with wolfsbane.

As he fell ill, his weight plummeted, his muscles began to waste away and when his condition became obvious Carmel urged Dreeko to strike which he did and he won. It was not a fair fight but then again nobody knew what they had done.

Adam had not died but when he realised he was losing the fight he had fled, which was the ultimate shame for a werewolf and after that day Carmel had declared him banished.

“But how do you know Jason?” I had asked him, “and why did you not tell?”

Jason had just laughed at me and told me not to be nosy while pulling out a jumper from his back pack and ordering to me to put it on.

“Why and whose is it?” I had asked him.

“It’s Jennies and it’s so you smell somewhat like a wolf because if Carmel smells you now; you’ll be straight on her transfer list. There is only so much I can do for you Rachael, you smell weird, have you been taking those herbs again?”

I had lied to him and told him no, but now but after he told me his secrets, I understand how he knew so much.

Jenny's crying bought ne back to reality.

I looked at Max, "so what do we do now? We have to go to Carmel; she won't let Dreeko execute him."

"They are really going to kill him and I am so angry because there is nothing I can do. Your brother has a heart of gold, but nothing can help him now."

We all looked at him as he sighed out loud with a look of pure frustration on his face.

"There has to be something we can do." Jenny cried out.

Both Max and Jack shock their heads.

“We have to go to Carmel, she can talk Dreeko out of it. She can get him to stop.” I cried.

“He now knows about the vampires Rachael. Dreeko is not impressed that Jason never told him directly about the problem and he believes Jason tried to control the board himself. He thinks he has undermined his authority and he told me he won’t stand for it. He is going to make an example of him because he believes Jason wants to challenge him for control.”