Nine

I just stared at Max as he stared at the ceiling and I could definitely hear someone walking on the roof. Max began again to sniff the air and as his eyes turned yellow I could sense that he thought we were in some kind of danger.

The hairs on my arms began to stand on end as whatever was standing on my roof began to stamp loudly on it. Max looked right at me as I think he could smell the fear that was starting to seep from every pore in my body.

“Go and wait downstairs,” he whispered, “I am going to take a look.” And he pointed to the ceiling of my room.

My stupid dog demanded that I stay.

My stupid dog wanted to me to stay and protect Max.

I was rooted to the spot, watching Max as he climbed out of the window. The dog was fighting against me and it would not let me move. The more time I spent with the Max the stronger the wolf was becoming and I did not like it. It was trying to break free and I need to keep it locked away. Max was starting to distract me from my plan; if I did not take action Max would soon become my future, my unwanted future.

I need stronger herbs.

I need to see Charlie; when I was with him the wolf was quiet. The wolf was frightened of Charlie.

As Max’s feet disappeared from sight; whatever was on my roof suddenly ran right along it and I heard a thud as it then jumped and landed in my garden so I ran to the window to try and get a look at it. Even though it was daylight I could not see its face as it turned, still crouched over from its rough landing, it looked up at me. It was wearing a hooded sweat shirt and the hood completely covered the face.

I could not pick up any scent from the breeze as it then stood and it was still looking up at me and just as I saw Max land in front of it in the garden, it waved at me and then it turned and ran and I could only watch from my window as Max began chase whatever or whoever it was. The dog began to howl as I lost sight of Max.

However; It did not have to wait long as Max soon came back into view and he was now the one being chased by five things; what they were I did not know as I could not see their faces and I could still not pick up any scent. They had a human shape but then many beings do take human form and now my heart began to race.

Hurry Max.

I tried to call Jason, we needed his help but he did not answer, Max was now getting nearer to my house but the beings were not far behind him. However as Max was now closer; the wolf could hear his thoughts.

Lock your window Rach; Lock all the doors. Protect yourself Rachael.

No; I am not locking you out.

I ran to my father’s room reached under his bed and took out his shot gun. At this point in my life I had never been so grateful for having Jason as my brother. When I was growing up and when he was not with Jennie I was with him and without my parents knowledge he had taught me how to use father’s shotgun and how to shoot.

I was not perfect but I could load it and I could fire. Every other weekend he would take me out shooting and I acquired quite some confidence but Jason always laughed at me and said my aim was to the left and that I shot like a girl.

Now is the time I will prove you wrong Jason.

I ran to my window; one of the things was almost upon Max but I did not aim for him because Jason was right, my aim was not that good so instead I aimed for the one at the back just praying that I hit him and this would warn the others off.

My phone started to buzz in my pocket and I quickly grabbed for it hoping it was my brother but it was not it was Charlie.

Now is not the time Charlie; talk about bad timing.