chapter four

IT WAS SAFE TO SAY that Tom Holland was as nervous as any boy would be, confessing his love to his best friend

IT WAS SAFE TO SAY that Tom Holland was as nervous as any boy would be, confessing his love to his best friend. He had gotten her flowers, and made sure to look nice for when he finally saw her after 2 years.

Liliana's family was hosting a welcome home party for her, and they invited Tom to come along.

Tom sat by Liliana's mother, and made small talk. "Mrs. Walsh, it's good to see you. It's been too long. Fourth of July, was it? Before Liliana left?" He said, giving a charming smile.

"Yes, you slept with our maid."

"She told you? I didn't know she spoke english."

Mrs. Walsh rolled her eyes and smiled and said, "Anyways, it's always good to see you Tom. We're all happy you could make it."

"Thank you for having me. I'm so excited about all of this. I can't wait to finally see her," he beamed, and Liliana's mom could tell. She patted him on the back and had another sip of her white wine.

Soon after that, one if Liliana's cousins shouted, "She just pulled up!"

Everyone quieted down and kept their eyes glued to the door. Seconds later, she walked in, and Tom fell in love with her all over again. It's the first time in 6 months hes seen her in person, and he forgot how beautiful she is.

She was hugging her parents and her family, until she eventually got to Tom. She squealed and threw her arms around him. "I missed you so much, Tom."

"Not as much as I missed you," he said, holding her tight.

As he looked up from the hug, he could see a boy around his age, that wasn't there before. Maybe her driver?

The two pulled apart and she said, "I missed our weekly ritual of going to a cafe! Remember we would always order for each other?" Tom smiled and said,

"How could I forget? It was my favorite part of the week! Let me just say, Chris Evans is not a good person to get coffee with! He spills it right after he buys it!"

Everyone chuckles at Tom's name drop, including Liliana. Tom loved watching her laugh.

As Lils went passed him and greeted everyone else, Tom could tell everyone else was confused about the guy who came in with her.

"Liliana, who is this?" Her mom asks, pointing to the man.

Liliana blushes and walks over beside him. She links her arm around his and says, "Well, um.. this is Lucas Baines...my fiancé."

Tom's smile dropped, his heart shrunk, and his eyes grew teary. More gasps cane from around the room. She didn't tell anyone? Tom thought to himself.

"What?!" Mrs. Walsh whisper yells. But instead of lashing out, she seams happy. Everyone seems happy. Well, except for Tom.

"Yeah, well remember that guy Luke I told you about a few months ago? He was in the flat next to mine and we started dating... and bam! We're gonna get married!" Lils explains, flashing the ring on her left ring finger.

Tom's eyebrows furrow as he thinks, I'm too late.

"I proposed to her last month," Lucas begins, "I just knew right away she was the one. I love Lils with all my heart."

Lils? Lils? That was Tom's nickname for Liliana. Only HE could call her that.

"I wanted to tell you all in person. And I
wanted you all to meet Lucas when I did so." She says, giving him a peck on the lips. Tom played in slow motion - watching the girl he had a major crush on, kissing another.

Lucas and Lils went over to Tom, and Lucas said, "Tom, so good to finally meet you. Lils has told me so much about you. I absolutely loved Civil War and Spiderman: Homecoming. You're so talented!"

Tom gave a fake smile and replied, "Yeah, thanks."

"You two are best friends, right? How'd you two meet?" Lucas asked, giving a sinister smile, as if he sensed Tom's feelings for Liliana.

Liliana interrupts, "We met in high school. It's actually kind of funny, we were dared to do seven minutes in heaven together. Instead of actually making out, we got to talking and became friends. Kinda shows why we didn't get invited to more parties after that."

Lucas laughs, but Tom blushes and looks down, embarrassed. But he also gives off a smirk. "Tom, Lucas was the suprise I was telling you about!" Lils says, pointing to her fiancé.

Tom smiles and nods, unhappy with the surprise.
The couple move on the next people, and Tom decides it's time to leave. He goes to Lils from behind and says, "I have to film really early tomorrow, I got to go."

Liliana whips her head around and says, "Awh! I was hoping to talk to you more! I'll text you tonight!" And then she brings him in for a hug. Tom, being just a little taller than her, takes a deep breath - trying to remember the feeling of her in his arms.

He says goodbye to everyone and leaves. He walks down the street to his car. Anger begins to bubble up inside him, and tears start to form in his eyes.

He gets in the drivers seat, slamming the door in anger. He needs someone to talk to, so he whips out his phone and calls the guy who always gives him the best advice.

"How'd it go?"  Robert asks as soon as he answers the call.

"I don't want to talk about it, Robert."

Robert raises his eyebrows and says, "Well, what did you call to talk about then? I'm assuming it didn't go well?"

Tom was silent for a moment. He muttered, "She's engaged."

Tom could hear a shocked noise come out of Robert on the other end of the line, "Oh my God, Tom. I'm so sorry."

He didn't reply.

"Just because she's engaged, doesn't mean she's married." Robert informed.

Tom smiled for real, for the first time the whole night since he found out about Lucas. "Thanks, Robert. See you tomorrow." And he hung up the phone and began driving home.

__

oof this makes me sad