Ch-14 Getting to know -Umar, Him and Her!

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet and Master Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                                       -Aameen.

Dedicated to my Naba, to the love and friendship we share for His sake ;)

Chapter Fourteen

Getting to know –Umar, Him and Her!

“And they call this bread in this land?” An indignant Humaira asked, poking the hard and stiff loaf with her finger.

“Correction –in this sea, yes, they call this as bread.” was her brother’s calm reply as he broke the loaf with much effort and tried to chew the crumbs. It did not take him many moments to realize that the process was a difficult one, making him look warily at the queer smelling cheese and queerer sauces. It finally succeeded in making him sigh and moan dolefully,

“Ya Allah, bear witness that I am grateful to the food You have bestowed now…though my stomach refuses to accept it.”

“I wish they had given me that wheat flour, I would have made some chapattis for you instead of this…this thing called…” Her anger still seemed to be there as she continued to glare at the loaf.

Saif’s moaning only seemed to increase at her words. “Ah Humair you are heartless to remind me of your soft chapattis now when I have to eat…”

Immediately her glance softened as she looked up at her brother.

“You do know Saif bhaiya that you don’t have to keep fast today as we are travelling…skip today and the coming Thursday, you can continue it after we go home Insha Allah.”

Saif smiled shaking his head.

“Can’t Humair, this Nafl fasting on Monday and Thursday has become more than a habit…it is more than three years since I started it and now can’t just skip, I did once or twice for some reason I don’t remember but it made me feel so empty as if I had missed doing something very important…”

Humaira smiled back and said,

“Well I agree with you about that feeling Bhaiya, I get that when I miss my 13, 14, 15 fasts of every month.” 

“So you follow that Sunnah huh?” Saif inquired, trying to continue eating his Suhur breakfast renewing his chewing effort. “Ever missed fasting those three days?”

“Some months yes but otherwise I always manage to keep fast Alhamdulillah; you know Ammi and Saira Di do too.”

Saif nodded appreciatively. Then finally giving up the struggle with the bread, he turned his attention to the fruits instead.

“And who do we have here now up so early?” He spoke after some moments, his teasing look and tone only making his younger brother grin as he stood there rubbing drowsy eyes with his sleeves.

“Eating Suhur Saif Bhaiya? Shall I join?”

“With pleasure my brother.”

“Of course not Umar.” said both the elder siblings together.

Umar seemed not to mind his sister’s words and promptly sat down on the sofa near the table upon which the infamous breakfast was spread that Saif had ordered using the late night service.