Ch-33 The London Dulha

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet and Master Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                                       -Aameen.

Dedicated to Half-a-moon, for her comment regarding IYL is simply beyond sweet … Jazak Allahu Firdaus!

Chapter Thirty-Three

The London Dulha

Minnesota, U.S.A.

Seated comfortably with her long legs stretched and crossed at the ankles, Sophia took a dainty bite of a pizza slice and observed her friend who was giving the final touches to a very pretty fishtail blouse while beside her, the remaining pizza sat untouched.

“Tell me Maryam, why do I love it here?” Sophia looked around the simple room with personal style and splashes of colours in the form of quaintly framed photos, snazzy curtains, little speakers attached to a sophisticated stereo system, a large desk overflowing with bits of fabric, lace, beads and a hand-sewing machine, while in the corner was thrust a laptop and haphazardly arranged books. “…than my apartment for which I pay nearly half of my salary?”

Maryam looked up with a smile, and then laid aside the long blouse with a yawn. “Do you really wanna know the reason why?”

Sophia gave an amused smile as she nodded.

“It’s ‘cause you don’t have ‘ME’ there!” Maryam declared with mock seriousness.

Her friend snorted while Maryam laughed. “Lord, I’m so hungry!”

She soon began to dig in the pizza while her attention was now focused upon a large piece of cardboard at which she was frowning.

“What’s that?” Sophia inquired, making a lazy attempt to peer at the writing that Maryam was doing upon the cardboard.

“Nothing,” Maryam mumbled as she continued to write. “Just a chart I’m trying to make for all the prayers I miss, and guess what Soph? I’m not satisfied with the results. Not one bit!”

For some moments, there was complete silence as Sophia watched her friend intently.

“I suck!” Maryam announced wryly, throwing away the marker and covering her face. 

“Don’t be so hard on yourself.”

Maryam rubbed her eyes, then with a laugh lowered her hands at Sophia’s comforting tone. “Hard? I didn’t even come close to it! I have only been honest and I wonder what I will say to Allah when He asks me about my missed prayers…” Maryam stared into space, yet her face remained clouded.

“Gotta perform them all I guess.” She stated at the same time as Sophia said with a strange smile, “You have changed remarkably haven’t you?”

Maryam looked at her and Sophia shook her head, her smile deepening. “Alright, don’t give me that tell-me-something-that-I-don’t-know look. You know what? I have been thinking of saying this, I’m going to work with Mattie Jones the next month.”