「Chapter 15」

Main Character (vs Side Character)
—Skylar—

Winter break came and went just like that, letting the third semester at school start.

I'm leaning against a streetlight outside of the supermarket, wearing a pair of black jeans and one of Kyo's bulky coats (something Shigure thought would be "best"). Instead of tennis shoes, I'm wearing the flats Shigure got me last month—which, unsurprisingly, is the only thing Shigure didn't complain about. My long, blonde hair is pulled into pigtails in an effort to keep it out of my blue eyes.

Aly, my best friend, is standing next to me, shaking her head at the cat and rat we live with. Unlike me, she managed to escape Shigure's wrath for the most part—where I wanted to wear sweats and a baggy shirt for this shopping trip, Aly wanted to wear a light purple, long-sleeve turtleneck that shaped her wonderfully with a pair of tight blue jeans. Shigure said this was an "approved" outfit for a "young maiden," but I don't get it.

To be fair, though, my head hurts too much to comprehend anything right now—it feels like my brain's exploding or something. I think it's a migraine because my eyes aren't working properly—everything in my peripheral is grey and foggy—but I've never had one before, so I can't be sure.

"You shouldn't always be like that—always pretending," Kyo says as he glares at Yuki. "One day, I'll make you say you're sorry."

Of course, anyone would have a headache if people kept screaming.

"Sorry," Yuki says blankly.

"Shut up! Don't you have any shame!?" Kyo hisses.

"Don'tyouhave any shame?" Yuki retorts, using Kyo's question against him. "You're the one causing a scene right outside of a store."

Well, he's not wrong, but the people gathering around them aren't gossiping about how inappropriate Kyo's being—they're gawking at how gorgeous Yuki is and how "rugged" Kyo looks.

"Let's take this outside, you girly boy!" Kyo growls, eyes sharpening.

"We're already outside, you stupid cat," Yuki says.

"Sorry for making you wait!" Tohru announces, smiling as we look at her.

"You've worked hard, Miss Honda," Yuki says nicely, ignoring the murderous aura radiating from Kyo.

"Oh, um..." She looks at Kyo, confused.

"Here," Yuki continues, distracting her by grabbing hold of one of the many plastic bags she has bundled in her hands. "Let me help you."

"I-I'm sorry," she stutters as he takes them. "I bought more than I thought I would, so it's a bit heavy."

"I don't mind," he assures her, smiling. "That's why we came along, after all~"

That's not true, though, because Shigure's the one who made all of us go even though Tohru didn't have a big shopping list. I'm pretty sure he just wanted the five of us to have some alone time, even though it's impossible to be alone in the shopping district on a Friday.

Aly sends me a look that tells me she's thinking the same thing I am, and I smile weakly at her, making her expression darken for some reason.

"Make yourself useful, stupid cat," Yuki orders, distracting me.

"Stop calling me stupid!" Kyo barks, grabbing a bag. "Why should I help you with anything anyway?"