「Chapter 04」

A Curse (and a Blessing)
—Skylar—

I cover my mouth to hide how much I'm trying not to laugh as Tohru stares at the orange cat in her hands.

"He... turned into... a cat...? But... he was a boy... a second ago..." she says, blinking. Without warning, she starts screaming, "IS IT BECAUSE I CRASHED INTO HIM!? I HIT HIM IN THE WRONG PLACE, AND HE TURNED INTO A CAT!?"

Shigure rubs his forehead. "No. Well, yes. Kind of?"

"We have to get him to the hospital!" she continues yelling, standing up quickly. "He needs medical attention!"

Too bad the Gods are against her, though, because a loose board decides to make itself known as it crashes on Tohru's head, making her clumsiness worse.

"Tohru?"

"Miss Honda!?"

The dog and mouse fret over her, ignoring the fact that she's falling into them.

Poof! They transform too.

A small, grey rat falls from the smoke, but Aly catches him before he can hit the floor, cradling him in her arms. "Are you okay?" she asks.

The little rat just stares at her, eyes wide, while the black dog looks to be grinning as he straightens himself.

"Mr. Sohma~" someone downstairs sings, adding to the chaos. "I have a delivery for you~"

Tohru scrambles up with the cat and races down the steps, nearly falling over herself.

All the control I have slips, and I burst into hysterics, giggling uncontrollably.

"Don't be mean," Aly scolds, thoughtlessly putting Yuki on her shoulder. Seriously—she's doing all of it without even thinking. I can tell because she doesn't even pay attention to the amazed and dazed (woo; that rhymed!) look on the rat's face.

"I'm not being mean," I defend. "I just think it's funny. This whole situation is great~"

"This isn't weird to you?" Shigure wonders, sticking his doggy face in between the two of us.

I tilt my head, pursing my lips. "Weird?" I parrot. "Kinda, I guess, but everyone has their quirks, right?"

"For instance, Skylar's is being callous," Aly grumbles.

"Hey!" I say. "Don't think I don't know what that means, you jerk!"

Shigure just stares, the wheels in his brain turning.

"Let's just go make sure Tohru's okay; that board hit her head pretty hard," Aly continues but stops. "Oh, crap! That's right! Yuki—" the rat on her shoulders stiffens "—Shigure—" the dog looks at her "—are you two okay?" she asks. "I didn't think about it because you didn't seem like you were in pain, but then I realized you could be if transforming hurts or something."

Shigure and Yuki stare at her with wide eyes without saying anything for a few beats, and I smack my forehead. "Ah, crap. You're right, Als!" I say, bowing lowly. "I'm sorry for not asking either. I guess I just got distracted by how Tohru was acting..."

"That's what I'm saying, Skylar; your too insensitive," Aly reprimands.

I sigh. "I'm sorry~ It was like the universe was conspiring against Tohru, though, and I couldn't help but laugh~"