「Chapter 14」

—New Year's (and the Plot Thickens!)
—Skylar—

"Wait! So, you two don't remember anything!?" Natsu asks, eyes wide. "Seriously!?"

"Not so loud," I hiss. "Uo and Hana don't know about it."

He sits back down on the toilet lid, staring at me. "How'd you end up living with the Prince then?"

"We woke up in the middle of the woods, and Yuki found us," I explain, going back to scrubbing the sink.

"Wow," he breathes. "No wonder you never talk about your time in America—you can't even remember being there!"

"Yeah~ We don't actually know for sure that's where we're from, but it was easier to say that than explain the truth, you know?"

"I get it," he agrees, "It's just... wow."

I nod.

It's the last day of the year, so we've been cleaning the house in preparation for the New Year. Tohru invited Hana and Uo to join us as we worked our way through Shigure's house, and I thought it'd be fun to include Natsu since I told him we lived with the Sohmas last week and he's been dying to come over so he can check the place out.

While cleaning the upstairs bathroom, though, Natsu started asking questions about how we ended up staying here. After thinking about it, I decided to tell him the truth.

"So, what? You guys're just going to keep living here until your memories come back?"

"I'd like to live here even after," I say honestly.

"You like it here that much?"

"Yep," I say. "Never a dull moment around here~"

As if cued, Kyo starts yelling, "IT'S YOUR FAULT, YA DAMN RAT!"

Natsu laughs. "I can see that."

"And anyway, where would we go? We don't have any memories, so we can't exactly go back, right?"

"No one's tried to find you?" he wonders. "No missing posters or news reports?"

I pause, washcloth in hand. For some reason, the question has a twinge of hurt in my chest. "No," I say eventually, shaking my head as I turn on the water to rinse the suds down the drain. "Shigure checks the news to make sure, and nothing has been posted yet."

"I'm sorry," he apologizes quickly, clearly worried that he hurt me as he puts a hand on my shoulder reassuringly.

"It's alright," I say. "Don't worry about it."

"At any rate, I think you've changed my opinion on Prince Yuki and Kyo Kyo," Natsu says, smiling reassuringly. "To think they took in two strangers without asking for anything in return~"

I smile. "Yeah. They're all pretty amazing~"

He opens his mouth to say something, but the door to the bathroom opens roughly, banging against the wall as Kyo barges in.

"What the hell're you doing in here?" he demands, glaring at Natsu's hand on my shoulder.

"Just talking," Natsu replies, but his face breaks into a smirk, and he slides his arm around my shoulders to pull me closer. "Why? Is there a problem with that?"

I can practically see the vein in Kyo's head pulsing as he yanks Natsu out of the bathroom. "Don't even think about doing anything obscene, you shitty flirt."