Chapter 10

I prepared myself before entering my room so that I was able to surprise Steve. But my plans proved to be futile when I saw no one in there. Then I decided to look into Phil and Vanessa’s room. When I got there, Vanessa told me that Steve has gone to Jazz café and everyone else is there too and I told her about my plan to surprise him. She agreed to join me in that and we both left for the café.

When we got there, we saw that everyone was involved in a serious discussion. And James and Tia too were there. So, I just asked Vanessa to hear their conversation a bit from some distance before going in front of everyone.

“I just can’t let Zara know about this. She’s coming back tomorrow and I just don’t know what I’m going to do.” Steve said.

“But she’ll find out eventually. She’s not a kid. And I think it’s better that you tell her all this yourself rather than…” Phil was speaking but Tia cut him through.

“Either you tell her or someone else will do. I don’t care. But mark my words, if no one does, then I will. I want her to understand how all this is. She needs to get out of Ella’s way. Ella is already suffering so much and all you seem to care about is what will Zara do? How could you be so mean and selfish?” Tia said.

I wasn’t able to understand what was going on so I decided to simply ask them.

“What do you all want me to know?” I asked as I made my way to the their table

Steve, Phil and Ruth were more than just shocked while Tia and James had a sly smile on their face and Rodick sat there with indifference.

“Zara…..You came back already? You were supposed to come back tomorrow, weren’t you?” Steve asked in tone which was much more scared than just surprised.

“Yes, I did. But answer my question first. What were you guys discussing about? What is that thing which you don’t want me to know but everyone else does?” I asked Steve.

“Look Zara, there is nothing like that which you’re thinking. Just please listen to me first please.” He said panicking.

“It would be better if you tell her everything now!” James said.

“Yeah….she should know what happened in her absence.” Tia said and Steve gave her a vexed look.

“What is it? Tell me Steve…..What are they talking about?” I enquired.

“Zara, just listen to me first. I can explain everything, just please first listen to me…..”He said and Tia interrupted him.

“He’s just playing around and not coming to the point. I’ll tell you about it all.” She said and immediately Steve pounced on her.

“Don’t you dare open your mouth.  I’m warning you. It’s my matter and it would be better that you stay out of it.” He warned her.

I had never seen him talk to a girl like that and I must admit now that it was scary.

And then James came in between them.

“How dare you talk to her like that? First, you mess up with my sister, break her down physically and emotionally and then you have the nerve of talking to Tia like that?” James blurted out.

“So what are you trying to say? That it was all my fault? She came with me herself. I didn’t ask her to.” Steve said.

“And you didn’t ask her to leave also.” James replied.

“Wait, can anyone please just tell me clearly what’s going on in here?” Vanessa said. “Phil, you tell us, what is this all about?”

“Can we just leave this place and go somewhere else? I don’t think this is the right place to talk!” Phil replied.