chapter eight. ♔

©danceyourbleepoff 2012
edited by lovelyswagger21

 Life is the flower for which love is the honey. -Victor Hugo

Chapter Eight
____________________________________________________________________

                “It was nice meeting you Ben,” I smiled at the boy standing in front of me.

                “Nice meeting you, too, Emma. Expect a call soon,” he told me, showing his pearly white teeth to me as well. His smile sure was dazzling.

                I turned away from Ben, feeling his eyes on me as I walked back to my car. Claire was waiting there for me, probably hoping we had kissed or something. She really was keen on him; I’m pretty sure she just wanted me to be happy. In her eyes, everything had gotten better when she found Dan. Correction, when I found Dan for her. I didn’t necessarily think that a girl needed a guy to be happy, it was something that I firmly disagreed with even though I was a matchmaker. I did think that love could fill a hole in someone’s life. Mine needed to be filled.

                I had gone my whole life an independent girl, not thinking that I needed a guy for my life to be complete, and I still felt that way. I wanted a boyfriend, I didn’t need one- There was a major difference. In my opinion, a girl that thought she needed a guy in her life to survive wasn’t mentally stable for a boyfriend, and if she had one, it didn’t get very far or last very long.

                “So is he a good kisser?” Claire squealed when I came into view.

                She wasn’t in my car yet, because I was the one with the keys, of course, so everyone around us could hear her shrieks. We got crazy looks, just as always, and I could feel the redness creeping to my cheeks and neck.

                “I didn’t kiss him, Claire,” I hissed once I reached her and we both slid into my sleek car.

                Claire just pouted. “Why not?” She whined.

                I rolled my eyes at her. “Because that wasn’t even a date and you’re not supposed to kiss on the first date anyways.”

                Claire looked at me quizzically. “That was too a date!”

                I started my car, backing out of the parking space and turning the music on, keeping it low so that Claire and I could continue our conversation.

                “Claire, you were sitting with us. It doesn’t count; it wasn’t planned,” I told her matter-of-factly.

                “I planned it,” she mumbled, continuing to pout.

                I smirked, of course Claire had planned it. She was funny when she was trying to play matchmaker. That was my job, though, and nobody could do it like I could. Nobody in town, at least.

                We rode the rest of the way home in silence; a comfortable one. The great thing about mine and Claire’s relationship was that while most of the time we had a very hectic and energized friendship- all because of Claire, I was the calm one- , we also had a mutually calm friendship. We could sit beside each other, like in the car, and just be silent. It was comfortable. A silence where there was no need for conversation, but just thinking among ourselves, reflecting on the day or humming. It was relaxing to be that way with Claire, and I loved when we were like that.