Prologue

Possessions are meaningless empty shells; nothing earthly could cure my sister. In the past three months, each day brought on a new battle, especially with Lee's medical bills. Bravely I parted with all of our worldly procession, piece by piece I waved it goodbye with a smile because the reason held so much more importance. Another day for the hope I held to triumph our circumstances.

That was three months ago and it still feels like yesterday. Doctor Isabelle Scott walked into my sister's room with dull eyes and a tired smile. She was up all night doing research to discover what was wrong with Lee. Her eyes were wet when she delivered the final blow. In latent terms, Lee had a rare condition of brain measles and it was already in stage three.

There is no cure, in the early stages, it could be managed with treatment. In my sister's case, the treatment would be insufficient. I told Doctor Scott that I was not giving up and demanded that they treated her no matter the cost.

The three-month hurricane rapidly ripped through our lives, shaking everything to the ground, from us and finally from me. The beautiful house and the Honda Civic our parents left us was the hardest to let go, because of all the memories it held. All that was left was the reminders in my heart and thoughts. The backpack I carried and the small purse in my jean pocket was all we had left.

Some would say it was all for nothing.
I would never believe that.
I did everything I could for her.
And I would have given more if I could.

As her casket lowers deeper into the earth and tears fall down my face. She had a good life and each day was lived to the fullest. I smile with fondness as I recall all the memories we made together.

I blow a kiss into the sky and promise to do so every day.