Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

The harsh buzz of Jake's alarm clock tore through the heavy slumber of a drunkard. Before even awaking fully he felt the pulse of a tequila headache. He rolled and slapped the nightstand once, twice, three times without reaching the annoying clock.

He opened his eyes and focused on the blurry red numbers. The morning light was too bright already. A well-placed blow silenced the buzzing demon, and he rolled onto his back, slinging an arm over his eyes.

Almost immediately he became aware of the sounds of movement and rustling within his room. Curious, irritated, he peeked from beneath his arm. He pushed himself onto his elbows and gazed at Madeleine, who paced his room.

“Madeleine?” He forced the words through a cotton mouth. “Am I that late for work?”

She faced him, an astonished look crossing her face before it flamed red. Green eyes were even more beautiful sparkling with anger. He'd never seen her hair down before, and the halo of auburn curls surprised him. She was stunning when she wasn't so concerned about keeping every little thing about her in perfect control.

“Don’t play games with me, Jake!” she snapped. “I guess now you’ll feign memory loss?”

He stared at her, baffled. She sat heavily on the rocking chair in the corner and pulled on her socks. He looked down at his naked form covered by a sheet and sat up with sudden interest.

“You’re not here because I’m late,” he said.

His eyes went to the clock, which read seven-thirty, then to the pretty pink panties bunched next to the clock.

“So, we slept together?” he asked.

He heard her movement stop and felt her fiery gaze.

“God, I wish I hadn’t drunk so much,” he groaned.

“You don’t remember at all!”

“Do you?” he challenged.

She made no answer, and he faced her again, watching her search the room. She was pale and unsteady on her feet.

“What have I done?” she muttered to herself.

“Damned if I know,” he said, entertained.

“I’m not talking to you!”

“What are you doing?”

“Looking for my … my things,” she said, growing redder.

“Like these?”

He reached over and plucked up the underwear, dangling them in front of his face with a smile. She gave him a long look.

“What’ll we do?” she asked in a hushed tone.

Jake understood the question but faked ignorance. He balled up the panties and tucked them under the pillow behind him.

“I say you take your clothes off and we do something we’ll both remember.”

Madeleine’s face blazed again.

“If anyone finds out, if Mr. Howard or Nigel finds out …”

“So you slept with someone,” he said. “Why should they give a damn?”

She snatched her purse off the floor.

“This didn’t happen, Jake,” she said, turning to him. “We’ll just … be like nothing happened.”

“I think it was meant to happen and is meant to happen again,” he said in annoyance.

“No, it can’t.”