Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

What started out as a friendly competition at the site soon turned fierce. The “games”—as Mark called them—involved site clean-up, and Jake realized Madeleine was getting double her money’s worth as the two teams rushed to finish their tasks.

By ten in the morning, they had managed to stack all the scattered stones, finish the placement of beams in the lobby, and drag the polished marble walkway into place.

Jake stood beneath the hot mid-morning sun and met Mark’s gaze, pleased with his team. Mark’s staff consisted of half a dozen athletic men from Mr. Howard's staff in matching designer gym pants in dark blue, white T-shirts, and tennis shoes.

In comparison, Jake’s team consisted of himself, Toni, two big Mexicans who spoke no English, and two other members of his crew, stringy white guys with cigarettes permanently attached to their lower lips. They were mismatched with half of them in jeans, two in shorts, and one in sweatpants. All wore cowboy boots, and all but one were shirtless.

Eric, wearing his newly adopted uniform of jeans, Javier and Sons T-shirt, and cowboy hat, was the official referee.

“I designed this one. It’s great, really great,” Eric said, motioning the two team leaders closer.

He knelt and pulled out a piece of folded paper. Using rocks as weights, he unfolded it and pinned it to the ground. The two men met, one on either side of Eric. Jake eyed Mark, sensing the man didn't care for the close competition. The pretty boy from out east was no longer smiling. He alone had disposed of his shirt about the same time Jake did.

 “It isn’t all about construction, Jake, so I hope it’s okay,” Eric started. "It's a relay race, too."

“By all means.” Jake offered a smile. “Make the city-boy feel more at home. Might help him win the next round.”

Mark ignored the barb.

“It’s a relay race around the site,” Eric explained. “All six team members are positioned around the site. The first team member starts here with one of the new door frames. He runs to this second guy, who has the tools. They run to the third guy, who has the door, and they assemble it here. Then the three carry the door over to the fourth guy, who is positioned at one of the entranceways to the lobby. Guy four has power tools and helps them install the door. Then they all run to the marble entryway, where guy five is, and lay the wood for cement pouring. And then they all run here, to the office, and tag guy six, who races the other team’s guy six to the finish line.”

“Wow, that’s some work,” Jake said, and patted Eric on the shoulder. “Great job.”

“Thanks. I had help.” Eric beamed.

“Enough, loverboys. Set up your team, Jake,” Mark snapped.

“Know what a door is, Mark?” Toni called as the athletic man left the group.

Mark flipped him off, and Toni chuckled. Jake watched him go.

“Toni, you know the men better. Who should be where?” he asked.

Toni waved the others over. The rest of the construction team loitered and watched, sometimes cheering for one team and sometimes the other. Jake’s eyes moved to Mark as Toni explained the relay race. Mark held up six fingers to indicate his position, and Jake smiled in anticipation.

“I’ll take sixth,” he told Toni.

The foreman nodded, and the six broke up. Jake joined Mark to trot over to the office. In the distance Eric gave the sign to begin, and both men watched their team members race to the first task.