Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

"Maddy!" Eric's voice and the sound of growling awoke her. Her eyes opened, and she jerked, surprised to see the muzzle of the massive black dog near her face. She pushed herself up.

“Okay, nice dog,” she murmured.

The dog ceased growling and whined. It sat before her, taking up much of the space between the small area between the two couches. She felt rested for the first time in two weeks despite the crick in her neck. She swung her legs off the couch, her eyes straying to her watch.

Eleven-thirty. She bolted to her feet and darted to the desk, where her BlackBerry sat. The dog growled again at her, and she eyed it, circling the desk.

“Maddy?” Eric called through the door.

“I’m up!”

“Whose dog is that?” he asked, cracking the door.

The dog rose and paced forward. His snarls were far from friendly. Eric ducked out. She dialed Jake’s phone, which he answered after four rings, as she expected.

“Yeah!” he shouted, sounding out of breath.

“Jake, can you retrieve your dog?” she asked. “He won’t stop growling and won’t let Eric in the trailer.”

“Duke gets sick in the sun. He does better in the AC,” Jake replied, sounding irritated already. “If Eric wants in, give Duke the friend command.”

“What is the friend command?”

“Tell him to stay and say, friend.

“Why is he growling at me?” she demanded.

“He growls all the time. Just ignore him. Keep your hands away from his mouth, and you’ll be fine.”

“Jake—”

He hung up.

“Madeleine?” Eric called again.

“Um, try to come in,” she said. “Duke, stay! Friend!”

Duke sat. He growled as Eric stuck his head in but remained in place.

“Friend!” she said again. Eric eased into the trailer. Duke remained in place. “God, I overslept!” she said. “The finance department is two hours ahead and needed this information mailed four hours ago!”

“I’ll take it into the motel,” Eric offered without removing his shades.

“You okay?” She looked up at him.

“Had a few drinks.”

Madeleine waited for an explanation or at least an apology for not including her in the invite. Nothing came. Unusually hurt by the exclusion, she gathered her papers.

“I’ll take them in,” she said. “Need to get away from this place for a bit.”

“Sure, great,” Eric agreed. “I’ll watch things here.”

She glanced at him again. Eric didn't normally leave her side or volunteer to be left behind anywhere.

“Okay,” she said. “Jake’s dog likes AC. You might have a furry coworker until he takes the blasted thing home.”

Eric nodded and sat on a couch, gingerly touching his head.

“The coffee here is horrible,” she said. “I’ll bring you some good stuff. Why don't you go help Jake while I'm gone and make sure they're doing what they're supposed to be?”