Chapter Thirty Six

Start from the beginning

Throughout my mental rant, Mel had answered.

"Er- Emma? Are you there?"

"Oh what?" I asked. "Sorry, spacing out."

"Oh phew," she said, sighing in relief. "I went to your house last night and neither you or Luke were home. I began to get worried. Where are you?"

"Jason's." I answered. "Luke still isn't back?"

"Yeah. How are they holding up? Do you know much more about Mark's condition?"

I ran a shaky hand through my long, blonde tangle of mess, (most commonly called my 'hair') and inhaled a deep breath. "Well... last night, I answered the phone and Dr. Nelson told me some news..."

"What news?"

"That Mark passed away last night."

She gasped. "Are you serious?"

"It's not like I'd joke about something like that, Mel." I snapped angrily.

"Oh right. Sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. I'm just freaking out. I didn't mean to snap at you." I apologised quickly, not wanting her to think I was being rude.

"It's okay. Does Jason know?"

"Well... that's the thing. I fainted. I just woke up and he's asleep, so I don't know what to do! I don't think he does know!"

"Okay... take a deep breath."

I obeyed, inhaling a deep breath, filling my lungs with the fresh morning air. I exhaled slowly and repeated the gesture a few times.

"Better?"

"Not really." I mumbled.

"Okay, well maybe wait for Jason to wake up and then break the news to him. I guess that's the best thing you can do?"

I nodded into the phone. "I'll try to. It's not like I can just be like, 'Morning Jason! Your Dad died last night, did you have a good sleep?'".

"Well, not like that. You know what I mean."

"Mm. Alright, thanks Mel."

"You're welcome. Goodluck."

"Thanks." I muttered. "Love you."

"Love you too."

I hung up and a throat cleared behind me. "You're saying I love you to someone? Oh my Goodness, you're cheating on me!"

I slowly turned around and Jason stood there, a hand over his heart and his other against his forehead dramatically. I rolled my eyes at him. 

"Grow up."

He smirked at me. "Morning babe."

He took two, long strides and wrapped me into his embrace, which caused my feet to lift from the ground. I squeaked in surprise and he chuckled, the sound vibrating through his chest.

"Um... Jason. I have something really bad to tell you..."

His smile dropped and he looked down. "I already know."

"L-last night... Wait - what? You do?"

"Yeah. I saw you collapsed on the ground, got Mum and she called the hospital and we heard from them. I was up most of the night with her."

"I'm so sorry Jason!" I blurted. "I'm so, so- oomph!"

"It's not your fault," he murmured, hugging me tighter. "I know it's horrible, but I got it out of my system last night. Now I'm just thinking positive. I can be with you freely now."