Chapter 14: Wondering

~Back to the present, where Lavi, Allen, Komui, Lenalee and Bookman return from their visit to General Yeager, who unfortunately passed on ~

The forest was as silent as nature itself. There was no stirring, none whatsoever in the mysterious pitch black shades of the trees. A wolf howled in the distance, breaking the silent trance. The moon, high up in the sky, as if by response, shone brighter than ever over the forest. 

The clip-clop of horses and noisy rattling of a carriage echoed through the cleared gravel paths, barely lit by the moonlight. In the carriage sat four Exorcists and one extremely annoying purple-haired bespectacled man that we all know - Komui.

"The Heart of Innocence?" Allen inquired. This information was evidently new to him. 

"Yes, though we still do not fully understand exactly what it is." Komui answered. The three looked at him attentively. He continued on.

"For instance, are there any characteristics that can help us distinguish it from other Innocence?" here, his tone turned serious, "The Cube doesn't say."

Lavi, Lenalee and Allen nodded in unison. It was serious matter. 

Komui preached on. "One possibility that we need to consider is that someone may have already retrieved it and become its Accomodator." He paused to push his silver half-framed glasses in the manner that all respectable bespectacled Anime or Manga character does. (eg. Kyoya from Ouran High School Host Club. He does that tonnes.)

"In regards to the Millennium Earl and judging by the recent events, it appears that he suspected the Heart to reside among the upper level Accommodators within the Order." Komui blatantly empties his suspicions in one breath and one sentence.

"Which lead to our first victim - General Yeager."

"There were members of the clan of Noah, and the fact that they're appearing with Akuma suggests that they're strengthtening their forces." 

Komui was finally finished with his speech. Bookman glared intensely at Komui until he was given the chance to speak his mind too. 

"Sounds like a good assessment. If you couple that with the time the Earl's most recent message to the Exorcists, I may say that we are right on track." Bookman comments with his raspy voice.

"It makes sense," Lavi got a turn in the game and commented as well, "If I had to choose an Accommodator that can handle the Heart of Innocence, a General would be the most likely candidate."

Then Komui wrapped the entire game into his hands again and started speaking.

"However, a coordinated attack by the clan of Noah and the Akuma would put any General at a great disadvantage. At this point, we have only four generals remaining: Klaud Nine, Socalo, Cross, and finally, Tiedoll."

"I'm assigning teams of Exorcists to protect our Generals so that we may defend against the attacks should they come." He paused and looked deep into the eyes of his beloved sister and Cross' apprentice. 

"Allen, Lenalee, listen closely. You are to leave NOW, find General Cross and protect him."

Komui may have thought that apprentices should always reunite with their mentors. But  it wasn't the case for poor Allen. His eyebrows twitched furiously at the thought of seeing his mentor again. Komui might as well throw him into an endless pit of Akuma.

Cross Marian is Allen Walker's walking nightmare. 

***********************************

*TOOOOT* *TOOOOT*

The steam ship tooted as it set sail. It was luncheon time and many of the ships' guests were dining in the hall, leaving the decks empty. Only an Exorcist with a golden golem nestling on his white hair stood leaning against the rails, looking faraway at the gleaming blue ocean.

"Are you okay?" Lenalee asked, appearing out of nowhere. Allen's gaze switched from the lapping waves to her. "It's just that you haven't seem yourself lately. Does it have anything to do with General Yeager's passing away?"  

Allen stared back at the ocean, finding it more amusing, or rather, less confronting after all. The wind brushed through his soft white hair.

"I guess." Allen sighed, "He was such a nice man. He treated me like I was his student, like I was one of his own." There was a sense of longing in his reply.

"Before meeting him, I never thought a General was capable of generosity." Allen told Lenalee truthfully. She made an agreeing sound. 

"Because," He continued, "The image in my head of a General was always a self-centred egoistical sociopath who would deal out paint and suffering without a moment's notice."

Lenalee's expression softened into one of pure empathy. "It seems that General Cross put you thorugh the ringer, does that sound about right?"   

Allen's faced cringed animatedly and held his temple while moving himself to suggest dizziness.

"Ah, thinking back about those days make me dizzy. Now I'm feeling faint." He complained as he felt backwards. Lenalee caught him in time.

"Maybe you should sit down for a sec!" Lenalee suggested hurriedly.

"I wonder how Snow Whi--my sister deals with Master Cross." Allen wonders, trying to get out of the dizzy spell.

Lenalee giggled. "I'm sure she dealt with it alright."

"Speaking of Sno---my sister, she left the Black Order, didn't she?" Allen asked.

Lenalee nodded. "Lavi told me before we boarded the ship. He said that she drugged him one night and left right after Bookman and him left for General Yeager."

Allen looked astonished. "It seems that Master Cross has rubbed off on Snow White. I don't think that my sister would have left the Order without notifying anyone."

Lenalee blinked twice at Allen. "For a moment there I thought you meant General Cross did "it" with your sister." 

Allen was more shocked than ever. "DID HEEE?? I'M GOING TO KILL HIM!!!"  He snarled with fire burning in the background.

Lenalee calmed an angered Allen and both of them went to eat paella in the dining room.

***

Somewhere in Europe, a lady in white summer dress and a brown coat sneezes. She pulls the lapels of her coat tighter to herself. Someone must've been talking about me, she thought to herself. 

The wind blew and her Fedora hat lifted up with it. She ran and ran after it and it dropped abruptly at the doorstep of a shop. She took a deep breath in, hopefully some courage with it, picked up her Fedora hat and walked straight in. 

The inn manager smiled at her. 

"Welcome to Rose Valley. What brings you here, dear?" He says warmly.

The lady smiles her best smile. "I'm looking for a job, sir."

"Well, you're in luck. One of my maids ran away today. Free accomodation and meals. My wife Helen will teach you all you need to know about the inn." 

A roundish lady appears from behind the counter. She, like the man, had a warm smile. The man brought the two ladies together and introduced them. 

"Helen. this is our latest maid, ..." He gestured for her name.

"Snow White."

************************************************************************************************************

 Hi Hi This is Crimson Rain here :D

Holidays are coming up and be ready to see more works XD