Chapter 24: Initiating

"We've got to find Komui, and fast!' Snow White jumped to her feet. Lavi pulled her arm. 

'What?' Snow White snapped, turning around to face Lavi. Bemused, he points to the back of her dress. It was tatterred. Snow White manipulates her Innocence to make it whole again. Lavi was reminded that the dress was her Innocence after all - known as 'The Dandelion'. No matter how tattered it became, she can make it whole again. She is an Equipment Type Exorcist, Lavi realises, just like him. Her weapon was the ribbons of her dress. 

Together they exited his room and ran down to Chief Komui's office. 

***

'Chief Komui!' Snow White shouted, quickly grabbing the lapels of his white coat and looking him dead in the eye. 'I NEED YOUR PERMISSION.'

'Well whatever the reason, I can accomodate, just calm down and tell me.' Komui replied cooly, very unlike his natural flared demeanor. 

'Kallistei. Let me kill her.' Snow White requests. 

Chief Komui's eyes widened. 'I thought we had an agreement. Nobody touches her. Don't you see she's valuable to our research? We need more time to study her!' 

Lavi had never seen Snow White so ruffled. 'Time? For seven long years I had worked, trained, lived under the vey knowledge that my father became an Akuma under surveillance and the one who he tried to raise from death was my mother! And to think I had to live away from my brother to keep my mouth shut! Then you sent him to find me? What are you plotting, Komui?'

' General Cross has it under control. ' 

' He just leapt down the Black Order pursuing Kallistei!' Snow White raised her voice a tone higher.   The entire division stops in their tracks, listening in on the conversation.   Snow White sighs,  ' I know you've been trying to find ways to interact with Akumas.   I know you were the one who persuaded my mother to kill herself for the sake of the Black Order, and whispered encouragements into my father's ear about the Millennium Earl.   If you can't right this wrongdoing of yours, I'll take it into my own hands.'   Snow White pulls the silver Rose Cross from her dress and throws it on Komui's pile of papers.   Lavi was shocked to see the Rose Cross - the emblem of the Black Order, of Exorcists.   No wonder she refused to take an official test to be an Exorcist - it was elementary, she was already an Exorcist. 

'There goes the White Heart.' Komui mutters drily as Snow White storms out the doors. How many had known that he was the lead researcher on the Heart, on communicating with Akumas to counterattack against the Millennium Earl?

***

Project Walker, 1887, launched by no other than Leah Walker herself, was a countermeasure to Milennium Earl, her uncle's plans.  He had always been a strange soul, disappearing for weeks on end, then popping out of the blue, making himself at home as if he was gone only the morning a day ago.  Leah was weary of him, and tired. The recent addition of a ridiculous top hat and suit to fit his rotund belly hardly improved her impression of him. Her only child, a girl, was outside playing with her husband - Marshall Viceroy. 

'I take it you've married a good man. He'll take care of you, will he not?' The Milennium Earl starts, pouring himself a cup of tea from the blue-floral white China teapot. He rested Leroy, his pumpkin-headed umbrella besides an expensive looking vase. Leah did not respond, directing her gaze elsewhere: the fireplace and its everlasting soot, the windows above the piano that needed a little repairwork - it was leaking and the dampness might ruin the piano's accoustics. 

The Earl followed her gaze and smiled pleasantly at the white piano. Why, it might just be useful in his plans. The Ark has need for such a sophisticated instrument, to control a machine's manoever  through pieces like Debussy, no Rachmaninoff, or Bach, the thrill of the prospect excited him thoroughly. 'You know, it's not too late to say yes to my project, Leah. You're young and I understand that a sense of justice is a very attractive idea to one who's life may end very soon.'