Chapter 4

Amber P.O.V. –

I was trying to get August to let me drive his car to my surprise. My car was still in the shop, and I wouldn’t get it back until Monday. Work had me completely stressed out, and I could tell he was overworked and exhausted.

Seeing all of this I wanted to do something fun. Something out of the box. Something that would allow my inner child to surface. 

He kept pestering me asking me what the surprise was, so I had to make up a lie. I refused to reveal it.

“Not happening,” he locked his car doors and shook his head. “Come on. It’ll be fun,” I put my purse on the roof of his car and pulled on his door handle.

“Ey, don’t break my shit,” he tapped the window to get my attention. “I’m not. Open the door.”

I put my hands on my hips and gave him a look like, “c’mon man.”  

“I’m not going to no damn pottery class Amber. That shit is dead,” he adjusted his snapback over his unruly curls.

“It’s only an hour,” I put my face close to the glass.

 “Don’t put that red lipstick on my damn window,” he scoffed.

Being defiant, I kissed the window leaving red lip prints on the glass.  

“Just for that, I’m out,” he started his car.  

“Fine”, I took my purse from the roof and folded my arms. “I’m trying to broaden your limited horizons.” I tried to keep the charade up for as long as I could.

 “By going to a fucking pottery class. Okay,” he said sarcastically.

“Leave, if you’re going to leave,” I dusted off my J. Crew stripe sequin boat-neck tee and blue jeans.

“Choose something else or I will.” I could tell he was getting serious. “The weekend is my only time to rest, and I don’t want to spend it at no fucking pottery class making plates and shit.”  

 “You win. I’ll choose something else. Can I drive us there?”

He took a good thirty seconds to stare at me as though he was trying to read whether or not I was telling the truth. “Don’t be playing games with me Amber,” he held his hands on the lock warning me.

“Boy get out the car,” I sucked my teeth. He reluctantly got out and went to the passenger side.

I got in and adjusted the seat and mirrors to my liking. He was super tall so the seat was all the way back.

“And stop calling me boy,” he picked lint off of his black shirt that had 2Pac’s face on it and the statement, If you can make it through the night, there’s a brighter day. “Cause I got twelve inches ready to show you how much of a man I am.”

“You are so inappropriate,” I rolled my eyes. “I’m just telling you what it is,” he patted my thigh.

I picked up his hand and dropped it on his lap. He smirked.

We pulled up to the place, and he took off his sunglasses and closed his eyes annoyed.  “Why you fucking with me?”  

 “What? It’ll be fun,” I said in a super duper fake, exciting voice. I got out the car. He didn’t move and I saw his jaw clench, as though he was trying to prevent himself from snapping on me.

“Get out August.” “No. I’ll be here when you get back,” he took off his hat and leaned back in the passenger side seat.

I opened his car door and pulled his long ass skinny arm. “Don’t touch me Amb.”