Chapter Three: Healing Hickey

Chapter Three::Healing Hickey. 

I can’t believe I was doing this all over again.

I headed back to the dining room table, a cup of tea in my hands for the sniffling blonde waiting for me.

Evelyn had cried so many tears, Moses himself wouldn’t be able to maneuver through them, and yet I couldn’t find make myself care.

“Did you add milk?” She questioned, grabbing the tea from my hands.

I nodded.

“Of course.”

“Good…good. Oh, gosh Aubrey. I can’t believe this is happening to me!” I made myself comfortable in my chair. “Like, I make one mistake and that’s it? He’s done?”

“You mean he broke up with you?” I asked.

“Well, no, he just stormed out…but what if he does? It’s so unfair! I mean, it’s not like I wanted to sleep with someone else!”

“Well, you must have seeing as how I doubt you just fell into bed with this other guy.”

Evelyn stared at me.

“Why are you being so mean?” she snapped.

I raised an eyebrow and opened my mouth to speak, but closed it before I actually said anything. 

The last time we had this conversation, I had been the supportive best friend who had promised to do whatever I could to help her fix things…I guess I just didn’t want to run through it again.

But it’s not like I could explain that to her.

“I…I’m a little hungover, Eve. Sorry.”

“Well, you should be. I’m having a crisis! Gosh, why did you drink so much yesterday, anyways?”

I blinked at her.

“Because it was my birthday….which you missed, by the way.”

She frowned.

“I was there for you during the day! Sorry I missed the party, but you know I was hired to attend that club promotion! The life of a business woman isn’t easy, you know.”

I raised an eyebrow.

“You mean a socialite,” I corrected.

She rolled her eyes.

“Potato, patato. Anyways, are you going to help me or not?”

“Evelyn, I-”

“Because, seriously, it’s kind of your fault, you know? Like, I’m sorry, but if you hadn’t had that party last night then Blake would have been with me at the club promotion and I wouldn’t have cheated-”

“Evelyn, shut up. You cannot blame your mistakes on me!” I snapped. I didn’t remember her saying this last year…then again, the moment I started ‘being mean’ to her, I guess it’s true that this whole conversation took a different course than last time. But anyways, her blaming me made something inside my stomach feel heavy.

This girl who started dating the guy I was literally in love with cheated on him and then blames me for it?

While my immediate reaction would be to call Blair in and let her flip a shit and handle the situation, the fact of the matter is that Evelyn –no matter how selfish and self-righteous- has still been my best friend since we were children.

“Evelyn, I need you to leave.”

She looked about as shocked as I felt.

“…Excuse me? Aubrey, I’m having a crisis! You’re my best friend, I-”