Chapter Thirteen: Reaction

Chapter Twelve::Reaction.

Ignoring both Jake and Blake was supposed to be the end of all of that, but it wasn't.

"Aubrey, there's a flower delivery man here. Again."

I cringed at Blair's annoyed tone and stared at the computer in front of me.

"Well, better there than here. My office is full of them. Who are they from this time?"

"These are from Jake. But Blake sent a box of cupcakes here earlier."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I ate some of them already and gave the rest to Lily."

"Lily was there?"

"Yeah, she wanted to get your opinion on something for the wedding."

I rolled my eyes.

"Her wedding is in a week, she needs to relax. Everything will be perfect."

"Yeah, well I'm not the one you should be telling. Back on topic –you need to talk to these men in your life."

"I don't want them in my life."

"Well, it's been a month and they haven't taken the hint."

I sighed.

"As soon as Blake comes back from university and the next time Jake comes back from England, I'll try and figure things out. I promise."

"Yeah, you better. I swear I'm developing an allergy."

"Goodbye, Blair."

"Later."

With a groan, I tossed my cellphone aside and lay my head down on the edge of my desk. I was nearing the end of my work day and after that phone call with Blair, I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to focus anymore so I closed everything up, shut down my computer and made my way from the office.

"Aubrey!" I glanced up from my phone and stopped walking to raise an eyebrow at Maria, our magazine's premiere event planner. "I need you to approve the napkin designs for the Spring Ball-"

"Whatever you chose is fine, Maria," I mutter, looking back to my phone. "You have great taste and I'm at my wits end and need to leave this building before the floor sucks me in," I groaned.

Maria frowned at me.

"You know, I noticed that you'd been spending a lot more time around the office this past month."

I shrugged.

"Yeah, well I needed something to focus on that didn't involve men."

Maria sighed dramatically.

"Literally the story of my life."

I rolled my eyes.

"Maria, you're engaged to a gorgeous man with more than enough money to support your shoe obsession, so bye."

"It's not an obsession," she muttered and I rolled my eyes again before I started to walk away. "Bye, Aubrey!"

I waved and pulled my jacket closed as I stepped outside. There were only bits of snow left on the wet ground and little bits of grass were starting to sprout up in the brown mud. Spring was coming.

I turned towards my car but stopped short at the tall figure leaning against the driver's door. Bundled up in jeans and a dark pea coat, his hazel eyes stared off into the distance as I slowed my walk.