Chapter 3: The Mask

The next day and the day after that, I went back to the forest. Those summer days, I ran and played all around the forest.

"Over here, over here!" I called to Y/N, running ahead of her through the forest, with Y/N walking after me. She showed me all around the forest: which places were her favorite, and which places I shouldn't go too. Not that it mattered. Whenever I was in the forest, I would always stay with Y/N. I was like a puppy following its owner.
"It's better over here." She pointed as we walked. The wind had picked up, blowing my green hat off my head and into a tree. I was too short to reach it.
"There." She grabbed the hat from the tree and handed it back to me.
"Thank you!" I took it, placing it back on my head. We stopped by a lake and Y/N showed me how to make a small boat out of a few leaves. I looked in awe as the tiny leaf boat drifted down he river.

Even though it was silly, it was so much fun.

I laughed as Y/N chased me around with a stick. We were playing tag, and she was trying to catch me, but I was too fast for her. We had to play with a stick since I couldn't touch her. I stopped when I saw her trip and fall on the ground. I walked back to her, making sure that she was okay. She quickly stood up and ran after me once more, and I ran away from her again.
On another day, we were in a field full of flowers. Y/N was laying on the grass while I was picking some flowers for her. Once I had collected a few, I walked back to her, making sure to not wake her up.
"Did Y/N fall asleep?" I asked, not really sure since she did have a mask on her head. I sat down next to her, wondering what she looked like behind her mask. I placed the flowers on the ground near me and looked down at her.
'It's fine if I touch her mask, right?' I thought, placing my hands on the edge of her mask, careful to not touch her. I slowly lifted the mask off her head and felt my cheeks warm up a bit at the sight. Y/N looked just a normal person, and she looked very pretty. Her eyes opened, revealing them to be a E/C (eye color) shade and she smiled a bit. My eyes widened in surprise when I noticed that she was awake.
"Ah, sorry!" Panicking, I quickly put the mask back on her face.
"Ouch!" She said, holding her face, well, mask. She rolled over and sat up. "Attacking someone while they're asleep... You sure are a scary little boy." She rubbed her mask a bit.
"I'm sorry, but... you were pretending to sleep, weren't you?" I questioned, looking to the side, feeling a bit embarrassed. She didn't answer my question but instead asked one herself.
"I looked normal, didn't I?" I stayed silent, but she probably knew that I meant to say "yes."
"Why are you wearing that mask?" I asked, still not getting her point of wearing it if she was so pretty.
"If I don't wear this mask, I don't look like a spirit, do I?" She stated. We stayed silent for a moment, looking at each other intently, or at least that's what I assumed.
"You're weird." I finally said, receiving a small laugh from her.