Prologue

Hello, my people! It seems that I was able to come up with a prologue for this book this fast! I seriously didn't plan to post it right away, but here you go! Don't expect the first chapter until June 23rd! Heheh... Hopefully this will serve as a nice introduction for this story. There's a lot of background information, so please soak it all in! Enjoy! :D

* This chapter may contain grammatical errors and typos. *

* * * * * * *

Jay

I guess I should start by introducing myself, right?

Hi, I’m Jay Baker, 17 years old, and a junior here at Northridge Academy. As you all probably already know, I’m a closeted gay boy and nobody — I mean nobody — else knows. It’ll be our little secret, alright?

Anyway, there’s a lot of things go over about life here in California. Well, I don’t know if I said that right, because I’m pretty sure it’s pretty much the same everywhere else throughout the country. But the first thing I should tell you is about how the people here act.

Gay.

They’re all “gay” — yes — because apparently “gay” is “cool” and everybody wants to become one. I don’t understand the logic behind it, but it’s all a lie. How do I know that? Well because every time someone acts “gay” laughter follows. What does that mean?

Being gay is funny.

It’s not funny. It’s serious. It’s not a laughing matter because people get hurt everyday through hate crime. It’s not fair. No it isn’t, but to everyone else, it’s just another form of entertainment.

Something amusing.

However, I keep quiet. Yeah, I’m good at that. I pretend to laugh at everything they do, say, think… Whatever. It doesn’t hurt me in particular, but it does hurt the fact that I’m not able to freely express myself in front of everyone.

I’m at that age when I’m constantly looking for relief, if you catch my drift. But apart from that, I’ve really been wanting to have someone to be in a relationship with. Because of the flamboyant personalities that everyone around here at school seems to posses, it’s impossible to tell who’s genuinely gay and who’s not.

I need to freaking know because I don’t want to embarrass myself by hitting on someone who’s actually straight.

Yeah, there’s actually a lot of attractive guys here, but their sexuality is very questionable. It’s to the point where you can’t decide whether he’s going out with his supposed girlfriend or  if he’s really secretly dating his best friend.

Me? I’m not really an outcast at school. No. I actually have plenty of friends. Girl friends.  For some reason, I’ve never been really close to any of the guys in my grade, especially the seniors. They have their own cliques and circles.

I have a good relationship with them though. They don’t hate me or anything, we just not close enough to hang out outside of school. I guess the proper way to describe our relationship would be acquaintances.

I don’t have a chance with any of these guys because I don’t understand them at all. They’re all really weird too.

I was in my speech and debate class and we were going over the format of a basic debate. I noticed that the people who usually sat in front of me were not in class yet. They’re gonna get an earful from the teacher.

“So we will be in teams. A pro and against side. We will be choosing our groups today and suggest possible topics for discussion,” the teacher announced.