Chapter 3 - Awkward Moments

(Picture of Alexis on the side..kinda) ------>

******

Recap:

"Tyler. My name is Steve Tyler."

I froze in recognition of his last name.

********

Skyler clapped her hands together and laughed,

"Steve Tyler? As in the name of the lead singer in Aerosmith? Your parents have great taste I must say!" she giggled a bit more and then couldn't stop.

That’s one thing you should know about Skyler, her laughter is contagious and when we are together we're like a couple of loons who escaped from the asylum.

When we both finally stopped, wiping the tears of laughter from our faces, we looked back at Steve who looked slightly embarrassed and like he was torn between bolting from his seat or staying to join us in our madness.

"Oh poor Steve, he looks like a deer caught in headlights, awwh what a cute lil' face!" Sky teased. Steve's face immediately turned hard.

"Cute? I have been called many things, but 'cute' is not one of them"

"Ok, I suppose cute isn't the right word" Skyler agreed

Steve's shoulders relaxed

"But adorable suits you perfectly!" Sky chortled, and Steve glared at her in mock annoyance, but before he could reply Kai came over with a look of bewilderment across his face.

"Steve?" Kai asked

"Kai! Long time no see, how you been cous?"

Me and Skyler both looked at each other in confusion, Kai never told us about his cousin, well he told us last year he was going on holiday with his cousins during last summer break, but never anything personal about them.

"Umm ok I guess" Kai replied scratching the back of his head

"Hey why don't you sit down already man!" Steve exclaimed

"I haven't seen you in 6 months we need to catch up sometime"

"Uh yeah that'd be great, but how do you know Sky and AJ?" Kai asked, he looked uncomfortable sitting next to Steve, I wonder what could have happened to make him so agitated round him. Steve on the other hand looked thrilled to see his cousin, and seemed not to notice Kai's clear discomfort.

"Oh well, I only just met AJ but Skyler and i met at the winter solstice festival a few months back, we are.... very well acquainted" Steve smirked and Skyler put her head down as her face was flooded red. I gave Sky a 'we need to talk about this later' look and she smiled sheepishly while nodding her head.

Kai's look however completely changed and he glared at Steve,

"That better not mean what I think it does" Kai threatened

Steve raised his eyebrows at Kai looking rather amused,

"Temper temper Kai, wouldn't want to challenge me before your 18th birthday now would you? I think we both know the outcome of that" he said calmly but strangely it seemed more menacing

Kai gritted his teeth together to stop himself from saying anything else, his entire frame shaking with anger.

"Whoa Kai let's go outside for a moment ok?" I suggested

I've only ever seen this side of Kai once, I was 13, which was shortly after I first met Skyler, we were all in science and Sky went to sit on her lab stool when a guy called Freddie Peters pulled it from under her. She fell right on the floor and was in tears while Freddie stood there laughing. When Kai saw what happened he shook with rage and his brown eyes darkened to the point where they looked almost black. When he saw the tears falling down Skyler’s face that’s when he stormed right over to Freddie, punched him square in the jaw, and wouldn't stop pummelling him till two teachers pulled him off. Now, Kai isn't a muscley guy but he knows how to pack a punch, and right now he looks as though he might just lose it.

"Ok AJ but only if Skyler comes too" Kai looked at Skyler and his eyes softened slightly.

Skyler had shrunk in her seat and was looking petrified, that’s when I looked around and noticed all the eyes of the cafeteria were watching as the scene unfolded.

"I-I-I'm coming Kai" Sky stuttered

What the hell is going on? I was so confused. What happened to Skyler's feisty nature? Her don't-give-a-damn-ness? More importantly what has happened to my loving, wouldn't hurt a fly big brother figure? Today has just been too weird....

Once we were all outside the cafeteria it was like someone hit the play button because the sound of people's conversations resumed. I turned to Kai, my big green eyes questioning him.

"Ok, I guess I have some explaining to do" Kai sighed while plunking down on a nearby bench.