Chapter 2 - Meeting Mr. Tyler

(Picture of Kai on the side when he was younger, and his age now)

*******

Well today was weird. It's a Monday and as always me and Skyler walked to Kai's house, then walked to school while discussing our weekends and how we can't wait for spring break.

But today something wasn't quite right; all the way to school Skyler was quiet and seemed blunt. What was weirder was that when we arrived at Kai's three story house Skyler kept looking at the ground twisting a strand of blue hair (a habit she seems to acquire when she is nervous).

Kai seemed to be running late, as usual, so I turned to my besty and decided to find out what was up. We didn't keep things from each other, never, what one knew so did the other and if one was having trouble we would turn to the other for support. So why the sudden secrecy?

"That must be one interesting little rock there!" I joked

Skyler looked up at me with a blank expression before a small smile curled along her lips.

"I suppose it is" she shrugged, something is definitely up, since when does Skyler Richardson, theee Skyler Richardson shrug off her best friend? I think not.

"Sky spill it, what don't I know, and on who do I open the can of whoop-ass?"

"What?"

"You heard me missy, what’s with the 'tude today? All morning you don't say a word and then your all nervous when we get here" I gestured to Kai's house.

A small blush arose on her peachy coloured cheeks and she giggled a little.

"Well, I may have found out..." but before Sky could finish Kai came jogging from around the back of his house looking a bit flustered, his shaggy hair covering his brown eyes.

"I am so sorry guys, mum froze up again" he explained

"How big was this terror?" Sky asked

"About the same size as the love bite on AJ’s neck" Kai smirked

Stupid Kai had to notice everything, but little did he know it wasn't a love bite, in fact I didn't even know what it was but when I woke up this morning it was there...

"And look who's accusing who of being secretive?" Sky raised one elegant eyebrow at me in question.

"Before you both jump to conclusions, no this is not a love bite, and no SKy before you say it I am not infected with the "T" virus"

I turned to Skyler whose mouth was open but then shut it and pouted her bottom lip.

"Actually guys I woke up with it this s'mornin, maybe it just a heat rash?" I said with uncertainty

"Or maybe the spider that was terrorizing my mum was at your house last night and went all Dracula on your ass, I mean, uhh, neck" Kai suggested

"Yeah" Sky encouraged "maybe it’s an escape science experiment and tomorrow you'll be spider woman!"

Just because we are all such cool kids, we all started singing the spider pig song, and with that we began to finish the rest of our morning route to school.

As we walked up the long street that Kai lived down - which mainly consists of more three story houses, all with neatly cut lawns some with vibrant yellow daffodils or plump purple tulips just starting to bloom round the edges - I looked towards the right side of the street. I always loved one particular house on that side; it was second to top house on the end of the street. Somehow this house has always made me feel safe when walking past it, and is the only two story building on the street. No one has lived in it for years and the white paint was starting to peel, the front door was a little bit crooked and one window was boarded up, but with a woman's touch this house would outshine all the others that mocked it now. And I wanted to be the one to do it.