Chapter 12- One Day

~Haley

I don't remember falling asleep until I wake with cold drips of water hitting my clang face. It's raining. It's always raining it seems.

I stand to my feet and wipe the sleep from my eyes, all I can think about is what I said to Elliot I went to far, shoot I always go too far it seems like. I'm just so desperate to find my brother that I sometimes forget to care about others, n9t that there are many left to care for, everyone's dead. I shake my head of the negative thoughts and take a deep breath as I glance over to a brewding Elliot.

I need to leave. I've thought about all night till I fell asleep and now it's all clear to me. People delay me and I delay people. If I'm on my own then I can find my brother, and find safety. I stuff my last can of mixed fruit into my already stuffed back pack, this is for the best, I just have to keep that in my head cause I know if I even think about never seeing Travis and Amber again I'll probably cry, take up time even more and search for them. No I need to get going.

"So, I'm leaving." I break the cut throat silence, feeling strangely anxious as I look into his stormy eyes, he's still upset. Hell I can't blame him. "Thank you, for helping me you didn't have to..but you did so uh...thanks." my voice is like a child's, quiet and nervous but why be nervous?

Elliot continues to look at the now smoking embers of the fire. I can tell he's listening but not if he cares, he probably doesn't and I'm honestly surprised he was so affected by my words he pretends to be oblivious to any feelings, but I crossed a line and I know it's different.

"Look, Elliot." I crouch down and place my hand on his forearm in which he just stares at me. "I'm so sorry for what I said, I was upset and angry I shouldn't have taken it out on you, you're a good brother to your sister. Please just know... that I'm sorry." I sigh getting no reaction.

I stand to my feet and wipe at my eyes I'm not crying but I feel like that could change very soon. I'm such a bad person, I never used to be this way, is this the new Haley? A hurtful, regretful, horrible person?

"What is you brother like?" I stop at Elliot's question and turn back to look at him, his eyes are still on the black embers.

I sigh and sit crossed legged next to him, trying to pin point his emotions and what he's getting at with that question.

"He's confident, brave, smart. It's easier to say he's everything I'm not." I chuckle shrugging off the sad feelings I get when I think of my older brother, my protector. "He was always mom and dad's favorite, I mean he was their first born, always had the best grades and when he got married first and even gave them their first grandchild they were so happy."

It's not hard to tell that I'm jealous of my brother, he's always been the favorite but he's never been arragont about it and even helped me more then my parents ever could after the incident. He was a good brother.  Is a good brother.

"With that being said, do you believe your brother, is looking for you?" Elliot questions now staring at me with cold eyes. "I used to think all I had was Ellie, but I was wrong when I met the group. Haven't known them too long but I trust them, I know they would look for me." He continues to stare at me I want to break the eye contact, but it's like he's put me in a trance and I can't seem to look away. "Can you say the same about your brother?"

I gulp at his words and shake my head. My brother is looking for me right? He wouldn't leave his baby sister to fend for herself would he? Maybe he thinks I'm dead...maybe he didn't even bother...I've always felt like I was a burden to him.

Did he ever feel that way?

"Haley, I haven't known you long at all but from what I can tell, you're to naive." I sniff I'm not going to cry again I'm honestly so tired of my crybaby self, but everything just sucks. To even think about what Elliot is saying could be true hurts, it's not like they are true but it is a possibility.

I take a deep breath and shake the tears away. I feel Elliot beside me now and look up to face him, and for the first time I see sympathy in his character like he actually cares. I don't like how this world is I always wished for my life to change but not where the whole world is dead and we're all hoping to make it another day, I understand my life will most likely never be normal again, I'm accepting it, I'm accepting reality.

It's just rally hard.

"Can I- Can I, stay with you and find the group?" The words spill put of my mouth before I could think. It's best I know it is. Even if my brothers not looking for me, I'm looking for him and he's always said there's safety in numbers.

"Fine with me, but this time no personal shít. It's awkward when you cry." Elliot bumps my shoulder in an attempt I can only assume is to cheer me up. "Everything will be okay Haley....one day."

I just wish that day would hurry up and get here.

<><><><><>

Author's Note:

Elliot is so bipolar like calm down and don't hurt my gurl Haley Mkay? SHE'S SENSITIVE

sorry about the long wait I hope some of you stuck around.

Chapter Dedication:
cloelle thank you for being so sweet! PM-ing me the other day made me smile thank you so very much the world needs more kind people like you! Also Thank you for all the votes! I love your poetry:) I suggest everyone go give her a follow, she's super supportive and a talented writer!