Chapter 3- Beef Jerky

It's been three days of silence, between Amber and I. So far I've seen no signs of my brother, not even his car. Travis is on edge with two angry females that are too stubborn for our own good, but I won't apologize for saying what I did, is all Humanity lost that quickly? Do they not feel bad for what they chose? I can't seem to get that lady's painful scream out of my mind, it's like every time I close my eyes, seeing that whole scene again.

"Here's some jerky." Travis speaks.

We decided to stay in a abandoned house tonight, it's pitch black out and there's no way am I fighting in the dark. We quickly disposed of the one dead body, and began searching for supplies, but only finding one water, two granola bars and a thin blanket. The couch is pushed against the door, making sure we're somewhat safe.

This house must've cost a pretty penny, with lots of paintings by artists I have never heard of. The floor is stained red with old blood and smell like stale chips, the place clearly was looted earlier on due to the no food, and everything is wrecked including the impressive flat screen that hangs on the wall, the two story home was once someone's dream, but is now a wreck that houses standees for a few days.

"Thanks, but you can have it." I smile as he sits next to me, I chose a room on the second floor, it must've been a teenage girls room, just by the pastel pink walls with many posters of pop stars and there's even makeup piled up on the bloodstained vanity. The sheets are gone but there's a pillow, I begrudgingly traded with Amber.

"No way, you haven't eaten in two days." He replies shoving the yummy meat in my grasp.

I happily chew the dried meat, beef jerky was always my favorite snack, who knew it'd be my main diet. I'd die for some pudding though, not tapioca though, that's disgusting. My favorite was vanilla. Mom would always make us eggs, bacon and toast for breakfast and send us on our way with a pudding cup. Those days were the best, I wish it was like that again, but I have no clue where my parents are, haven't seen them in years over a...dispute.

"You know she's right Haley, this is how the world is now, that woman. She didn't accept it, and you saw what happened." Travis begins, sitting next to me on the thin twin size mattress. "If you don't accept this world how it is now, then you'll be just like that old lady, rotter food."

"Rotter food?" I chuckle.

"It's better than zombie, I mean that's so overused." I roll my eyes and laugh remembering this is why he's my best friend, I always jump to conclusions, while he's more level headed.

"I'm sorry. I get what you're saying, I know those zombies aren't people, I know that" I explain sighing. "I just believe if you're in the position to help someone, you should." It's how I was raised, and it's the right thing to do.

"I know, but you got to think about this. If we would have saved that lady you and amber would have been in danger, and if I lost you two." I can tell he's thought about this with the amount of worry lines forming on his forehead, he must have ran his hand through his hair a lot, since it's all messy. "That'd be it, I wouldn't go on, you're my best friend, and she's the love of my life."

I smile and nudge him, I'm not gonna cry again it seems like I cry a lot and I don't want them to think of me as weak or fragile, so I'll just settle for a smile as I beam up at my best friend, I know I'd be lost without him too, but Amber needs to apologize, she acts like what we did isn't wrong, when it is. It's like she has no heart anymore.

------> Time Skip<------

"Haley...Haley!" I'm rudely awaken and shoot up grasping my knife that stays right beside me, it's now dark, maybe midnight or something.