Chapter 8

Altaïr gritted his teeth as he paced. He couldn't believe those...those...

"Novice stop bring a hole through the carpet" Malik said from where he was reading.

"They left us behind!"

"Your attitude right now just proves why"

Altaïr just glared as William walked in "Come, we're doing some training" Malik narrowed his eyes at the thinly veiled command but got up and followed the two other men out of the room.

Desmond looked over as his father and the two Syrians walked out of the safe house. Due to a recent psychological break due to the Bleeding Effect, a very tired and not focused Desmond was also left behind.

"They decided to join us then?"

"Like we had much choice" Altaïr grumbled under his breath and Desmond winced in sympathy. If it was his choice he wouldn't exactly be out here either.

"Enough talking! We'll start with a run around the property and Desmond at least try and keep up" William gave his son a hard stare. Desmond just waved his hand and rolled his shoulders, getting ready.

He wasn't looking forward to this.

As they ran, Desmond was once again pulled into...well he didn't know how to describe it as anything other than visions. Suddenly, he was in the woods of Connor's people's land.

Malik frowned and motioned for Altaïr to stop as he went over to a very...off Desmond.

"Desmond?"

Desmond looked...confused and William went over "What's the hold up?" He growled.

Malik glared "At least show some concern for your son" he hissed, displeased with the other.

Desmond slowly came back to the present and blinked, rubbing his eyes gently. God his head hurt...

"If you're done slaking off" William announced "Let's continue"

"Yes sir" Desmond winced but nodded. The two Syrians looked concerned though.

"Are you sure you're up for it?" Altaïr asked. Desmond looked reluctant.

"He's fine" William spoke up before Desmond could and Desmond nodded along mutely.

Malik was having none of that "Desmond go back to the house you're in no shape to be training right now" Malik didn't like how relieved and dumbfounded the younger man looked.

He didn't like it at all.

After Desmond went back Malik turned to William.

"You are a disgrace" he started snd put his hand up when William opened his mouth. "No, you WILL shut up and listen. Even if he wasn't your son, he is still a member or the Brotherhood, one that clearly isn't on the right mental place right now to train. However you force him too anyway, which caused his mind to falter even more, even this novice next to me understands this"

Altaïr nodded and added "You remind me of the mentor before me...except you are doing this to your own flesh and blood and he has not done anything to warrant this behavior from you as I did"

"He ran" William glared "He's lucky I let him back in or even sent people to rescue after he got his ass abducted"

"Everyone runs for a reason, Miles" Altaïr glared "And regardless if he ran before or not he's a member of the Brotherhood now and your son"

William snorted "I haven't had a son sense he ran away from the farm" he didn't see the hard punch to the face coming from Malik. He did hear the sickening 'crack' of his nose and feel the sharp pain of his breaking though.

"You don't deserve a son" Malik said simply and stalked off with Altaïr. He needed to see Desmond and talk to him about...everything it seemed.

Desmond was in his room when the two found him. He was curled underneath the blankets.

Malik went and sat on the edge of the bed awkwardly. He...had some idea of what to do but...

"Desmond?" As the Syrian spoke the other turned and blearily looked at him.

There was several minutes of silence, then-"It's called the Bleeding Effect, usually we can handle the...side effects of going into the animus, but this...it only happens to those who spend an extended amount of time in it. I become Altaïr or Ezio or Connor. I beleive I'm then and the eniorment and people around looks like the enbiorment and people around them in their times. Sometimes it's just halutinations, which I and the others can handle because I'm still me you know? I just...it's hard..."

Malik glanced at Altaïr and nodded to Desmond "It sounds horrible"

"It is...William is convinced it doesn't exist, Nilea chooses to ignore it or if she acknowledges it it's because she can ask me questions when I think I'm them. I just, I wish I were normal! I wish I were back at Bad Weather with Luna and Maria I wish I was still sane and ok and I mean who's ever relaly safe but I felt like it!" Desmond knew he probably sounded like a whining child, but he couldn't help it.

"Would you have met Shaun and Rebecca then though?" Malik reminded softly and Desmond paused.

"Maybe not, depends...on certain things I don't want to talk about if William might be in hearing range. Let's just say there's a reason no one ever leave the New England branch of the Order. Too many secrets that could be dangerous for all involved if they got out, too many lives at risk" he paused again, and what he said next didn't really shock the two Syrians, but did surprise them.

"Too much risk of a civil war within the Brotherhood. If word got out I never left, I simply ran to a different branch or whatever, people would be either defending William or trying to kill him. I can't have that, the Brotherhood can't have that. We're already at a disadvantage in this war. The Brotherhood wouldn't survive from that..."