Chapter 19: Two O'Clock

After following his lead for a while through the hotel, he finally stopped in front of the swimming pool. We sat on the same bench where we sat when we had our first conversation. Same people, same place, different experience.

     "Wow, a lot has happened the last 22 hours, " I said as I sat down.

     "Yeah," he sighed and laughed. He looked tired, and for some reason that made his smile even cuter.

     "Since we are lacking in time, I'm going to skip to the part where I admit I'm a liar," I said to him without making eye contact.

     "Yeah, I kind of figured that part out," he shrugged.

     "I knew you would. I basically expected you to," I admitted.

     "Yeah...but will you tell me anyways, so I know for sure?" he paused. "After all, I wouldn't want to be assuming the wrong things," he reffered back to our old conversations and smiled.

     I don't really know, but there really was something about his tired smile. It had a way of making me weak. I started to get lost in it. Not just his smile or any specific feature, but his face as a whole. The way his eyebrows raised as his eyelids fell a little too heavy over the blue in his eyes, and the sides of his cheeks effortlessly pushed back revealing his smile. He almost looked as if he was high or drunk, but there was something very attractive about that smile. 

     "So yeah," I said as I got my self back on track. "My 'reason for going for a walk at 2:00 am.' is actually pretty similar to your's."

     "Really?" He asked surprised.

     "Yeah, the only difference is that your story, well it litterally effected millions of people. But mine, infact, effects no one, but me." And that's probably the saddest part, I thought to myself. 

     "You okay?" he asked. I came to the realization that I've been staring at the water, lost in my own mind, after the brief, poorly composed introduction to my story.

     "Yeah," I broke out of my stare and laughed. "I just don't know where to start, I guess."

     "Why don't you start with your fake cousin 'Alana'," he suggested.

     "Okay, well, first of all, Mr. Know it all, Alana isn't fake. She is real, but she isn't my cousin. She was my sister."

     "Was your sister?" Nash asked in a sorry tone.

     "What the hell? Did I say 'was'? I didn't mean to," I let out a puff of air that souded like a laugh, but easily could've turned into tears. "As if I lost her already, huh?" I swallowed and tried to make my voice sound less croaky. "Anyways," I continued. "Our parents were young, and in love, and wanted to get married. Although, neither side of thier families accepted this marriage. My mom's family hated my Dad's, and vice versa. This was before we were born, by the way."

     "So kind of like Romeo and Juliet?" he asked.

     "Yeah, sure, whatever," I dismissed his reference of a stupid, fairytale play to my actual life. "So my parents, just like your little Shakespeare play, decided to run away together and get married. They found a small town in Tennessee called Franksten, and found decent jobs and lived there. A year later, came my wonderful older sister Alana. Five years after Alana, came Inaya; me. Life was good." I nodded, smiled at him, and took a deep breath to continue my story. "When I was 12 and Alana was 17, our mom was diagnosed with cancer. She died two years later. After that, my dad started smoking cigarretes as a way to help him with his grief and depression. When he realized it was no help, he turned to bigger things. He became an alcholic, then turned to drugs. Eventually he became someone else. He never spoke to us normally, he would only yell. He beat us for no reason. I started failing classes in school and losing friends because they were too scared of my dad. No one tried to help us, Nash, not even me." I made sure to keep myself from making any eye contact with him. "So here I was, a 14 years old, with no mom and an abusive dad who eventually tries to rape me. Oops spoiler alert." I felt a few tear drops stream its way down my left cheek.

     "Where was Alana during all this?" He sounded pissed.

     "With her boyfriend," I answered. "She was 18, she moved out, she got away. After the night he tried to rape me, I called her, and I told her everything, so she came back for me. She came back while he was sleeping. It happened to be 2:00 am when Alana knocked on my window and I snuck out," I slightly laughed.