Part XII

not edited

-

Stefan

I had been standing outside of the abandoned witch house for what seemed like hours, waiting for Jade to come back out in one piece.

I hated lying to her about her best friend to get her here. I hated Silas and his powers of compulsion. I hated betraying her and giving her up to her fate.

The front door flung open, revealing the dark silhouette of Jade.

The first change I noticed on her was her eyes. Eyes the color of a bright and fiery red. Eyes the color of blood.

The second change was her dress. It was drenched in blood, her blood, and the smell was very alarming and yet alluring.

The third change was that she was smiling. Grinning, in fact. Different from her usual pout or glare.

The fourth change. Her usual long black hair that ended exactly at her hips was chopped off. It was now up to her shoulders, making her facial features more sharper.

Her haunting eyes skimmed over mine. But she hadn't seen me. I was well hidden behind a tree, as she sauntered out casually, revealing the hand that was hidden behind her back. And in that hand she held a stake.

I watched her walk, or should I say skip, around the house, probably looking for me. She even hummed a little tune, before stopping a few feet away in front of me. Her eyes were directly on mine, her teeth shining in the sun light.

"Stefan!" She screamed out. But her eyes only passed through mine. She hadn't seen me yet, again.

Jade called my name repeatedly, as she continued to randomly skip around like a little girl. It amused me in a way, but I knew this wasn't the Jade I remembered.

"Boo." She whispered from behind me. I jumped, distancing myself from her a few feet away. Her laughter filled the air. Whirling around, I was met with her bright red eyes and her troubling grin.

"I found you." She sung out.

"Jade.." I warned, as she started to approach me, twisting the stake around her fingers. She stopped in her tracks, tilting her head to the side.

I furrowed my eyebrows at her, taking a step closer, examining her from a closer angle.

A bite mark peeked out from underneath her hair that covered the side of her neck. It was fresh, as was the blood on her dress.

"Your neck.." As I said those two words, she straightened her head, cupping her hand over the bite mark. Her smile was replaced by a frown.

"Shhh." She whispered, approaching me once again. I mirrored her steps, causing her red eyes to burn even brighter in anger and frustration.

"Stop it, Stefan!" Jade roared. She was now approaching me in a sprint, but I was faster.

She chased me through the woods, feeling her anger radiating off her body. I was going to try to lure her out from Silas and back to Klaus, seeing what Klaus would do with her, and how he would react.

But I guess Jade figured out what I was doing a few minutes later, for she abruptly froze in her tracks.

She was now on the ground, on her hands and knees. She was breathing heavily, her hand cupped over her heart as she attempted to catch her breath.

Jade looked up at me then. Her smile was gone. And so were her haunting red eyes.

They were back to her sharp and intense grey.