Chapter 15 - Animal City

May 8, 1992

Who would've thought?  A young boy who sits at his family's dinner table is in harm's way.

Ramon Sanchez, an innocent nine year old boy, sat there in a chair while drinking a glass of milk.  No one knows what he was thinking but if one had to guess, most likely the most joyous, childish thoughts any kid imagines.

But before he could taste the last drop, he shook in fear as three bullets were fired behind him.  Quickly, he got up on his two feet but only to fall down to his doom.

His ten year old sister screamed for their mother with fear as she realized something was wrong with her little brother.

Both his mother and father came running into the kitchen but only to find their young boy lying beneath the kitchen window in a pool of blood.

Ramon Sanchez didn't make it.  Martin Luther King Jr. /Drew Medical Center later announced him dead.

This sad story of Ramon losing his life eventually made its way to Michael via the local newspapers.  It was noted more than once that the family wouldn't be able to pay for their child's funeral because of their financial situation.  Without second guessing it, Michael felt it in his heart to help this grieving family.

He called the district attorney and offered to pay in full for the mortuary, funeral, and headstone.  He asked for nothing in return.  He just wanted to help.

But the Sanchez family wanted to show him how truly touched they were by his sudden actions and thank him in person.

May 22, 1992

The family visited Michael in Culver City on the set of his Pepsi commercial.  Through a translator, they exchanged gratitude.  The young boy was a big fan of Michael's according to the parents.

Shakira was scheduled to visit Michael on the set too.  She wasn't aware he would be having special visitors though.  Michael just asked her early that morning to stop by.

When she walked in the room, she introduced herself to the Sanchez family and together they spoke to each other in the Spanish language.

Once Shakira was filled in on the story of their son, she immediately began to well up and show empathy.  "Is there anything I can do for you?" she asked them.

But they then explained how Michael was taking care of their funeral costs.

"Oh, wow!" she said glancing towards Michael.  "Eso es muy afortunado," she said cupping the mourning mother's hand. 

The two parents nodded in agreement to how fortunate they were to have Michael step forward at such a hard time for them.

After a little more talk and a few photos, the family said their last goodbyes to Michael and Shakira.

"That's so sad, man," Shakira said shaking her head.

Michael was silent.  "Come with me for a second."  He led Shakira to his dressing room so they could be alone.

There, he broke down.

His sudden fit of heartbreak didn't shock her one bit.  A child dying in such a tragic way would leave anyone feeling doleful about the situation.  But Michael was more sensitive than others when it came to the children of the world.

His large hands were glued to his face by his tears. Carefully, she backed him up to sit his weakening body into a chair.

She even let out a few tears with him.