Chapter 3 - No

I palmed my mouth as the line began ringing.  I shut my eyes and begged for him to answer.  But it was like the ringing was never ending.  I didn't even hear a voicemail come on.

I hung up the phone and immediately called back and decided to listen to all the options.  Frank was in the other room and I wanted to run to him and thank him for the number as it was really working to my excitement but I just stayed put.

"Press 4 for Lissy Bell's office...Press 5 Michael Jackson's office...Press-"

I decided to go with '5' that time. 

"You have chosen a restricted area.  Please enter the-"

I quickly dialed the code.

"You have entered the incorrect code.  Please try again."

I thought maybe I went to fast so I tried it again.

"You have entered the incorrect code.  Please try again...or press 0 to connect with someone for assistance."

I hung up the phone, slamming it down again.  Only Michael would have some crap like that.  I stared down to the phone thinking of a time when I should call again.  At least I had the code to his master bedroom.  I was just afraid of Lissy picking up instead of him.

I planned on calling later, but something inside of me told me to try one last time.  It was like a gut instinct. 

As I dialed the number once again, a swarm of butterflies fluttered throughout my core.

"You have chosen a restricted area.  Please enter the four digit passcode..."

I let a second linger in between my dialing.

"Please hold."

Deeply, my breath flew in and out of me. My eyelids stuck together because I trusted my gut so heavily in that moment.  The butterflies weren't flying freely inside of me just for any reason. 

It rang and rang and rang but not a hint of impatience struck me.

I will always remember the choking feeling that overwhelmed me in my early encounters with Michael. That same feeling came over me in that moment.  The strangling sensation told me his presence was near.

"Hello?"

I could only react to our long waited connection with tears.

"I'm sorry, hello?" he called with a rushed tone.

A tear snuck out as I opened my eyes.

When he hung up the phone, I didn't react with anger.  I simply just caught my breath and called back.

"Please hold."

He only let the phone rang twice that time.  "Hello?" he sang.

"Hi."  I made the simple word sound so pained.

"Hi," he said softly.  I could tell he didn't know it was me.

"Umm...I'm sorry.  Frank gave me this number," I asked with my accent heavy.

I heard him...gasp maybe? I didn't quite catch it.  I was still choking on my heart.  "Umm...can you hold on for a moment?" 

"Sure," I said smiling.  I enjoyed the familiarity of his natural, comfortable tone.

"Actually, can I call you back at this number?"

"When?"  I didn't trust him with callbacks.

"Right now.  I know you don't...."  I heard him sigh before pausing for a few moments.  "Just hold on."