24. Stubborness can make you do strange things

One extremely long shower later there was some knocking on the door. I stepped out of the shower.

“Who is it?” I asked and wrapped a towel around me.

“Liam,”

“Wait a sec, just going to put on some clothes,” I said and quickly found my clothes and took them on. Then I unlocked the door and stepped aside so he could come in.

“What’s up?” I asked in a casual tone.

“We’re going gokarting in one hour, all of the boys and we would really love if you could join,” Liam said and looked at me with begging eyes.

“Um, I’m not in the gokarting mood right now,” I said. Liam first looked very sad but then he changed to determined.

“If you just mope around here Harry is going to think you’re sad because of him,” He said and changed his tactics and now played on my stubbornness not my conciseness, which was a smart move.

“Gokarting sounds great!” I said and smiled. Liam laughed but then looked seriously at me.

“Promise you won’t make it horrible being there, do your best to show Harry what he’s missing,” Liam said.

“Harry isn’t missing anything. But I get your point,” I said and went out in the living room where the guys sat. I was going to win this!

The adrenalin was rushing through me as my pressed my foot even harder down at the pedal to reach maximum speed. It was pretty hard to tell the difference between the boys, but the only thing that mattered was that I won over Harry. In some sick way winning against him in go-kart would make me feel better.

It was drive or die! I drove past someone I thought looked like Zayn, it was the last lap and I had only one chance at passing Harry. The swing that was right before the finish line.

The wind was blowing, which made it hard for me to see, but in that moment there was only one thing in my mind. Beating Harry. My opportunity to pass him wasn’t far from were I was and I took last look back at Zayn.

“Goodbye suckers,” I said and reached maximum speed. As I came closer to Harry he turned around. To my surprise he wasn’t stressing about me coming. Big mistake, I thought to myself. Just as the swing came I understood that I had no chance of getting in front of Harry.

The finish line was right behind and it didn’t take long until I had to slow down. Harry jumped out of his go-kart and laughed at me.

“Did you really think you could beat me?” He asked. I couldn’t believe that I lost against him. The other boys soon came in and were all impressed by my driving.

On our drive home I was kind of silent, but did everything I could to not create a bad mood. Liam was the only one noticing, and he kept giving me encouraging smiles.

When we came home, it was already dark outside.

“I’m going to Danielle’s,” Liam said while smiling at me. I’m pretty sure that if the other boys hadn’t been here he would compliment me for my acting, but luckily that was avoided,”

“I’m going to Eleanor,” Louis said right after. I looked at Zayn.

“I’m guessing that you’re going to hang out with Perrie?” I asked and smiled. For a moment I got reminded of something. Because Niall was out of town it would be me and Harry alone.

“What about you Harry?” I asked and tried to keep my voice normal.

“I’m thinking about staying home, I might invite Charlotte over,” he said. Oh god, one thing was to hear about her but being in the same room as her was too much to expect from me.

“Good thing I have plans then,” I said and stood up. They all looked curiously at me. Probably because they wondered what I was up to, since I’d never gone by my self.

“I should probably get going,” I said before they could ask where I was going. That would be a big problem, mainly because I had no idea where I would go.

God knows who many hours later I headed back to the house. I went as slowly as I could do drag out the time. Please let the guys be home, and Charlotte gone, I begged as I found my key and locked the door open.

It was 3 o’clock in the morning, so hopefully they would be home, but they often spent the night when they first were with their girlfriends.

I looked around for their shoes, but only found Harry’s and the evil queen’s.

“Fuck,” I mumbled as I went up the stairs. I was almost afraid for what my eyes would meet in the living room, but to my surprise it was empty. Before I could ask my self where they were I heard some noise from the bedroom. It felt like the air had been shoved out of me.

“Oh god,” I said when I understood what was going on. I needed to get away from the room in a hurry.

I practically ran into the bathroom and jumped into the shower. I even sang a song to be sure that I couldn’t hear anything. To be honest when I stood in the shower I had no idea of what was water and what were tears. This was the moment when I finally realized that I had lost him, and whatever we could have had. It just felt very wrong, like somebody had taken all happiness from me. I would not let this happen. I would not let a guy decide if I was happy or not, I thought to my self.

I stepped out of the shower and dried my hair. I quickly changed into some comfortable clothes. As I went out in the living room it was completely silent, which I thanked God for.

The feeling of sitting in the sofa in the middle of the night was kind of strange. I was really tired, but getting in bed with Harry and Charlotte didn’t sound exactly tempting so there I sat. If I hadn’t been so stubborn I could have borrowed Liam’s bed, but unfortunately I had decided that I wouldn’t sleep anywhere else than in Harry’s bed.

Someone suddenly came in the door. Liam came in and stopped as he saw me.

“Monica? What the hell are you doing up, it’s like four in the morning?” he asked shocked. I looked at him and surprised myself at how emotional I was when I answered.

“Harry and Charlotte are in the room,” I said with a voice that was shaking.

“WHAT?!” he said. I think he was about to get mad, but he saw my face and instantly calmed down and sat beside me.

“Why aren’t you just laying in one of the other beds?” he asked.

“Because, I promised myself when I first claimed Harry’s bed as mine that I’d never sleep in another, and it would be like loosing, so when I can’t have my bed I can’t sleep at all,” I said and pulled my self together. I was not about to cry in front of Liam.

“You are pretty screwed up in certain ways,” he said with a grin. I just nodded.

“Just go to bed, you must be tired,” I said and yawned. He looked at me with big eyes.

“No, of course I’m going to stay up with you,” he said before adding.

“What about the Lion King 2?” he asked.

“That would be great,” I said truly glad for being taken care of.