Chapter Twenty-Three: Break-Ups and Make-Ups

After the soup incident, the next two days went by slowly. Every time my mother invited Mr. Wright over and left him alone with me, the man would have more things to say to me about Louis. He knew that he was hurting me. He knew that I was tired of him. But what he didn’t know was that I was on my way over to Louis’ house ready to walk in and beg Louis for his forgiveness and his help. I had to get rid of Mr. Wright for once and for all.

“Louis please open the door,” I yelled, knocking on the door again. It was four days into Christmas break and I still had heard nothing from Louis. His car sat in his driveway like it had been since last week. I hadn’t seen him leave his house once.

Louis still wouldn’t answer.

“I know where the spare key is and I swear to God almighty that I will walk into your house if you don-”

“Harry, what?” Louis asks right as he swings the door open, startling me a bit. I stand there and gape at him for a while. He had bags under his eyes, hadn’t shaved in ages, and probably hadn’t showered. “Are you going to say anything or can I go back to bed?” He really didn’t want to see me.

“Louis, we need to talk.”

“Now?”

“No next year,” I say sarcastically. “That’s exactly why I’ve been banging on your door for ten minutes. Just to schedule the next time the two of us talk.” He rolls his eyes at me. My insides start to hurt at his anger towards me. “I know the last thing you want to do is talk to me, but I really could use your help.”

“Come in,” he sighs, moving back from the door so I can walk inside. I’m a little shocked at what I see. I was expecting his house to be as messy as he was, but it was surprisingly clean.

“Louis,” I say, turning to him as soon as he shuts the door, “I need your help.” I watch as his face twists into a confused-concerned look.

“Why? What’s wrong Cu – Harry?” He questions, trying to make the whole situation between the two of us less awkward.

“Mr. Wright is sti-”

“Honestly, Harry. Every single conversation with you is always about Mr. Wright.” My eyes widen at his anger-fed interruption. “We broke up, remember? Mr. Wright isn’t my problem anymore. He’s yours and your mother’s,” he says in annoyance. “Now,” he puts his hands on my shoulders and turns me towards the door, “run along. I have things to do.”

To say that I wasn’t about to cry would be a complete lie.

Louis really didn’t want to see me.

“Please, Lou,” I say, trying to get his attention, not wanting him to push me out of his home before I could tell him what was going on. “I just need to-”

“What we did was wrong, Harry.” I turn around and he drops his hands. “Let’s just forget it, okay? Things between us never should have happened.”