Chapter Fourteen: Leave Me the Fuck Alone

It had only been a few days of not being able to be around Louis, and it was absolute torcher. I had tried to sneak into his classroom, but Mr. Wright was in there talking to him. Wanting to know why, I listened to their conversation. Mr. Wright was yelling at him about me and Louis was yelling back. Of course Mr. Wright was majorly pissed off because Louis was obviously proving him wrong (even though he was right) and when the older man went to storm off, I had to run into the next room to avoid being caught. When he was gone, I came out of the room and headed towards Louis’, only to be stopped again by a teacher and given detention for three days. Turns out I was in the girls’ bathroom.

The only plus about that was when I left the bathroom, a girl named Maisy came out behind me (she, too, was given three days). Automatically that teacher thought we were doing something inappropriate in there. Word spread and now people think we’re together. If Mr. Wright finds out, he’ll be pissed.

I explained to Maisy in detention one day what was going on. It was a long shot that could have automatically gotten Louis and me in trouble, but I really didn’t want Maisy to hate me. At first she was upset about her reputation being ruined and that people thought she was easy, but she understood in the end and agreed to help me out if things got suspicious again.

Now I have someone to sit with at lunch and to walk down the hallway with until the suspicion about Louis and I clears up. While Louis seems uncomfortable with the whole thing, though he won’t tell me he is, it’s for the best.

I got to the lunch room today and grabbed my tray before making my way to Maisy’s table. We sat with a boy named Liam, a girl named Amelia, a boy named Zayn, who might I say was very pretty; and a girl named Erin. From what I had picked up in the three days that I had known them, Erin and Zayn were a couple and Liam was crushing pretty hard on a guy named Niall.

“Hey, Harry!” Liam says cheerfully as I sit down across from him. He and Zayn were the only ones here so far.

“Hey Liam. Hey Zayn,” I respond as I set my tray in front of me. Unlike most stereotypical high schools, this one had pretty decent food. Today was chicken casserole and cornbread. It looked delicious. “What’s up?” I ask before shoving a forkful of the casserole into my mouth.

“Liam was talking about Niall. Again,” Zayn says rolling his eyes towards the boy. “I just don’t understand why you don’t go talk to him if you like him so much, Liam.” I watch as the two have a small argument about him being too shy to talk to Niall. Maisy puts a hand on my shoulder and pats it twice.

“This will never get old.”

“Agreed,” I say while she sits down and pulls out her lunchbox.

“So how did things go last night with you and Louis?” she whispers, knowing she won’t be heard by the two arguing boys or anyone else in this cafeteria. Last night, I was supposed to tell Louis that Maisy had a plan to get Mr. Wright off of our backs for a while. She was going to pretend to be my girlfriend. Though we were caught coming out of the bathroom (but I had no clue she was even there), Mr. Wright still doesn’t think that Louis and I aren’t doing something. When I told Maisy at lunch yesterday, she suggested we faked dating. I said I’d have to ask Louis first… and that could have gone better.

“Um,” I start.

Louis and I were eating some spaghetti he had made when he brought up Mr. Wright, “That twit came into my room again at lunch to see if you were there.”

“Why does he care so much?”

“Like I’ve said before, people don’t like the idea of working with a twenty-six year old. He’s probably trying to get me fired.”