The Friends

“Where to start? Um… I don’t even know what happened. One minute I was driving, the next I was in the water. After that I woke up in the hospital. There’s been a lot of blackout moments, to say the least. I’m feeling fine. Better than when I first woke up. I’m not sure about the scars, you’ll have to ask my doctor. I’m sure I’m not terminally ill, I just got into a car accident. I think I could have died. But I’m sure I’m fine now…After all its been two weeks I would have died then if anything right? I’m not really sure when I am to blow this popsicle stand, I haven’t asked my doctor…or my parents.” they all laugh and nod at my response to their questions. “So what have I missed in my leave of absence? What’s in the news now-and-days?”

“Not much. It’s a small town, you know how it is, nothing happens here.” peanut says, his eyes wandering the room.

“You, however, are all over the news. Local news anyways.” Seth says, rubbing my injured hand in his. Michael shifts a little where he’s sitting and I couldn’t help but reach my other hand out to him.

“Besides you though. Mary Jones is pregnant.” Lolita says a huge smile spreading on her lips. This is what I was looking for. Gossip.

“Mary Jones! As in the Virgin Mary! Holy shit. Who’d she do it with? When? Is he helping her? What about her father. The Pastor must not be to happy about that!”

“There are a bunch of new people coming into town since you got into your accident.” she says eyeing Michael hungrily. “The guy is someone knew. Hangs out with about four other guys. He’s big, sexy, fairly nice. Think his name is Jonas. Apparently when they first met it was like love at first sight, like a week ago. Anyways, he’s helping her. Everyone’s really excited about it actually. They don’t seem to mind the fact that she just turned 18 and is now housing a child in her vagina.”

“Well… That was unexpected. When I get outta here, we should go see her.” Lolita agrees and then snaps up.

“Oh! I almost forgot. Since I am your very best friend and I happen to be in all of your classes and no one trusted Seth enough or remembered Peanut enough. I was given the task of delivering all of your missed work to you.” she pulls out a giant stack of papers from her bag and sits them down on my lap. “Although. I was thinking you could just get a doctors note saying that you are excused from doing anything work related for the rest of your life, or until you feel ready to go back to school.” she smiles patchily at me and drops the stack onto the floor.

Seth slides onto the bed next to me and puts his arm around my shoulders while saying. “All that aside. I missed you Em. Life’s been dull without you. Peanut never wants to do anything and the most fun Lolly can think of is shopping. You’re my only hope.” He fake cries into the crook of my neck, causing Michael to go ridged. “Excuse me.” he says and quickly leaves the room.

Sorrow washed over me and I wish for the feel of his hands back in mine, but he’s already out the door and far down the hall. As soon as the door closed Lolly was on me. “Tell me everything!” she squealed grabbing my arm and rocking back and forth.

A/N Vote Fan and Comment for a dedication!