The Interrogation

My eyes opened to the sound of familiar voices arguing in a low voice. My mother and father stood at the foot of my bed fighting about something I couldn’t exactly make out, but I did hear Erik’s name every once in a while. I looked to my side to see Michael sleeping soundly. I smiled-at least they didn’t wake him up.

I tired to quietly move to face him without anyone noticing, but they all noticed, including Michael who’s eyes shot open. He smiled at me and was about to say something, but my mother beat him to it. “Honeybee! You’re awake! Oh I’ve missed you so much. How do you feel? Are they treating you right? Are you getting along well with your nurse? Do you want to be treated in the city? How’d this happen to you? Oh my honeybee; why aren’t you answering me?” she cried as she hugged me as tightly as she could. It was only then did I really see what was wrong with me -or rather, feel.

My right arm was in a sling, I assumed I broke it, my ribs were in a wrap, I’m sure I broke a few of those judging by the pain that was radiating off the lower half of my body, and my left ankle was wrapped in white gauze. I cussed and squirmed under her, only making everything hurt more. She noticed then and released me. “Sorry.” she whispered and then looked at me expectantly. I suddenly remembered all her questions.

“Um. Mom, which do you want me to answer first?” I asked not really sure where to start.

“From the top.” she said, though it was more of an order.

“I don’t feel so good, everything that’s supposed to hurt hurts, mostly my ribs. Um… they’re treating me fine, cant say the same for Michael though. The nurse is a nurse. I assume she’s acting as she should. I don’t want to be treated in the city. I don’t even know all that’s wrong. My car went off a cliff, didn’t anyone tell you?”

She laughed and slapped my broken/sprained ankle. I winced and she swore to herself. “you just have to make jokes.” she scolded me before saying. “I thought you knew more than that.” I could have told her the truth, that I wanted to commit suicide and I purposely drove my car off the cliff, but since I no longer wanted to do it, I felt no need to actually tell her. Instead I just stared at her, and she back at me.

I looked to my father then to see him with the same questioning look, that resolved itself when he noticed me watching him. “Hey kiddo. What’s all the good?” he asked gently touching my good arm. I smiled up at him for asking such a stupid question.

“Well father, I hear the food in here is smashing, and by the looks of it I may be staying here a while so I assume I’ll be able to try it. I’ve missed two weeks of my already short life. My beautiful Audi is in what I guess would be a wonderful state. I seem to have broken all the not-so-useful parts of my body, and I have the best headache a girl could ask for.” I smile at him like everything is alright as I say this and he nods shaking his head.

“Smartass.” he whispers and I stick my tongue out at him. “Anyways! You have some annoying little people out there waiting to bust down the doors. We’ll talk to you later.” he leaves me to open the door and three clumsy teenagers fall into the room. As my parents exit the stand up and crowded me, carefully avoiding the space where Michael sat.

I watched all of them carefully, Lolita, Seth and Peanut-who is ironically allergic to peanuts. None of them had changed. Lolita still stood at her top model 5’8” with firry red curls, her purple contacts still hid the dark brown of her eyes, her white skin just held the barest of colour, her unnaturally red lips the perfect standout making her irresistible to any male with her perfect pout. Seth was still his childish cute self, with beach blonde hair and well tanned skin. He had a angular face with lovely, kissable pink lips, crystalline blue eyes and stood just over 6 feet with coils of muscles. Wrapping around his arms. Peanut on the other hand was almost the exact opposite. He stood around 5’6” with chocolaty brown hair, and eyes to match. He was skinny and by far the most clumsy with a thin face and dorky glasses that ment the world to him.

They began to question me after a minute, saying thins like “What happened exactly” “How do you feel” “Who’s the guy in the corner?” “Are you going to have scars?” “Are you terminally ill?” “Do you think you’re going to die?” ”When do you get to blow this popsicle stand?” I laughed as I tried to take in all their questions to answer them when they were done.

Just like that.

Everything was back to the way they should be, with my friends -as crazy as they may be- by my side. Only my brother was missing.

A/N Vote Fan and Comment for a dedication!