Saving Grace: The Glory of Love Chapter 12

WOW!! Two huge things happen in this chapter. They have been building up for quite some time. I don't want to comment too much to give them away. But I must say in one of them, true life events inspired the twist!! The other thing is Jake and Grace need to decide how far they are willing to go in their relationship. I will add an Author's Note (A/N) at the bottom of the chapter to talk about my reason for writing it like I did. I just hope you understand.

Hang on...it is going to be a bumpy ride!!

___________________________________________________

Chapter 12

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

I love swimming, but I am also a teenager who loves to stay up late and then sleep late. But, I have made this choice and I love swimming more than sleeping so every morning I set my alarm for 4:50 and try to be out of bed by 5:00 AM. I throw on my suit with shorts or sweats and a t-shirt, throw my hair back in a ponytail, brush my teeth, grab a granola bar and bottle of water from the kitchen and run to the garage, get on my bike and ride the mile or so to swim practice at the pool. I did my normal routine, I jumped on my bike and opened the garage door ready to go, but this time in the dark I could tell there was something there blocking my way. It was too dark for me to make out, but there was definitely someone there, I could feel them looking at me, waiting for me. I watched as the driver's door began to open. I started to close the garage door and go back inside, and then a familiar voice said, "I thought you could use a ride."

"Jake, you scared me to death!" I said barely able to breath. "What are you doing here this early? I look like crap!"

"I am sorry, I did not mean to scare you. I thought I would go watch you at practice and I hate the thought of you riding your bike on a dark road this early. And...you never look like crap...you are beautiful!"

I put my bike away and slid into the passenger seat as Jake held my door open for me. He bent down and gave me a quick kiss on my cheek. "Now I get to watch you shine!" He said with a huge grin on his face.

"I don't know about shine, it is just laps!" I told him. "You will probably be very bored."

"Nope, I brought my stop watch and I am going to keep your lap times for you."

"Thanks, but coach does that."

"Yeah, but can your coach put it into a spreadsheet and give you averages based on the number of laps you have already completed and projections for your meets?"

I knew I did not need all of that, but, he was excited about helping me so I said, "Jake, however you can help me, I will appreciate it!" I had a big smile on my face. Spending time together was enough for me. But all I did was swim, it wasn't like I was knocking over linebackers or anything! Besides, my meets took all day sometimes and my races were only a few minutes long each. I felt bad for him that if he wanted to watch me swim, then he would need something to keep him busy for the hours I was not racing. "But, you might want to bring a book to meets. They can be very boring."

"My most boring days with you will still be in my most wonderful days category!" He said as he kissed my hand.

We got out of the car and walked in. I went to the locker room to get undressed. I already had my swimsuit on, but felt funny taking my clothes off in front of Jake. The locker room is pretty small and some of my teammates were already there. I could hear coach blowing his whistle, so even though I was early, I knew there were others already doing laps. When I made it to the pool, Jake was sitting on the side of the large pool and coach was walking up and down the side giving instructions to those in the pool. I quickly rinsed off and went to an empty lane and dove in. I began with the freestyle, an easy stroke to warm up with. I knew Jake was watching, but it really did not bother me. After a few minutes I forgot he was even there. With each lap, my real world melted away and it was just me in the water mindlessly swimming with each lap, I could feel myself going faster and faster as I let the thoughts of Jake and John meeting on Saturday slip away. Just me and the water, my arms would cut through the water like a warm knife cutting through softened butter. With each turn at the laps end, my mind grew clearer and clearer as my body moved faster and faster. Just me and the water... and occasionally coach and his whistle shouting out times or instructions.