Saving Grace: The Glory of Love Chapter 11

This chapter Jake finds out the importance of forgiveness and the effect his anger and hatred towards John can have in his relationship with Grace. I need to say that there are things coming up in the next few chapters that they will have to work through and will be tough as they build their relationship.

________________________________________________________

Chapter 11

1 John 4:16-21 God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

Life was going great. Jake and I had been dating for about a month. The football team was doing very well thanks to Jake and some of his great plays and leadership on the team. The swim team had started back up and I had morning and afternoon practices. Our first meet was coming up in two weeks.

It had been a couple weeks since I had received the court date and John's letter. Jake and I had no secrets...well I had one secret. I loved him, but I did not like it when he got angry so I decided not to tell him that John was sending me other letters. I knew even though I had forgiven John, that Jake had not and it was difficult for him. So, I decided to keep it to myself.

John was forgiven, I had no ill feelings towards him. We had been friends a long time. I needed to let him know he was forgiven, but I didn't want to do it in a letter. I knew Jake would be upset if I went to see him, but I also knew Jake would be more upset if I did not tell him. I did not know what to do.

I had an appointment with Dr. Palmer after school and I decided to ask his Dad for advice. Dr. Palmer was very happy that I was so at peace with everything. He could tell that I was whole again, or at least very close to being whole again. This was actually going to be our last session, unless I felt the need to return in the future.

"Dr. Palmer, I do have to talk to you about something." I confided towards the end of my session.

"Go ahead Grace."

"I need your word that Jake will not find out." I said hesitantly.

"Grace, Jake will never know what you tell me in here unless you tell him!" I knew that already, but it was good to hear.

"You know I got a letter about the court date a couple of weeks ago...and with it I got a letter from John apologizing for the attack." I said. This is something we had discussed in session right after it happened. Plus, I am sure Jake told him as well, it was something that bothered him and I knew he would seek guidance from his dad.

"Yes."

"Well, since then, I have been getting letters from John."

"How many letters?"

"Four so far. In the letters John tells me how sorry he was and that he would never do it again. That he truly had feelings for me, but understands how things could never be that way between us now because of that night. He has asked me to forgive him, that he 'loves' me and that he wants me to come and see him. I never replied to the letters, I would read them and then put them away."

"I see." He said. "Why do you think you keep the letters?"

"I just did not want to throw them out in case he does something stupid, I have evidence he was contacting me. Mom doesn't even know he is writing me."