Saving Grace: The Glory of Love Chapter 9

OK True confession time here...as you are reading you will notice a couple of things. First of all, for anyone reading outside of the United States...we take our football seriously. And I am not talking soccer. I am talking American FOOTBALL!! Those that do not follow football, I am sorry. But, the character Jake was modeled after one of my favorite college players. If you follow football, especially college football in the south eastern part of the United States, you can probably guess who Jake is modeled after!!

This chapter was also one of my favorite to write because you see the relationship between Jake and Grace. You will start to see her open up and their playfulness together as they fall in love.

I hope you enjoy!

______________________________________________________

Chapter 9

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

The next week at school flew by. Jake and I were spending more time together. I loved being with him, he could make me laugh and forget about John and the attack. Dr. Palmer was right, kids at school would gossip about anything...and we were the news for a few days until James Brandon got pulled over for drunk driving. Then we were no longer the topic of conversation or stares. Jake and I were becoming more than friends, and I was learning how to let him get close. He would hold my hand and bend down to kiss my cheek or the tip of my nose. And, at times, I would feel my body tense up and he moved quickly away not wanting me to feel uncomfortable. But, I would remind myself that "I am safe, I am safe, I am safe!" and I knew I was and the fear would pass and I would relax in his touch.

On Tuesday, when I had my appointment at Dr. Palmer's, we talked about my fears, doubts and concerns. We also talked about how John had hurt me physically and emotionally, and how Jake was helping me heal. We did limit the discussion of Jake and I think that was something both of us was happy about. Jake was helping me more than anyone knew, even Jake himself. But, I still didn't feel right talking about him with his dad.

Fall Swim League was about to begin and that was something I was looking forward to. It was an escape that I could rely on. I had already started getting up early every morning to do laps and practice. I would ride my bike to the pool which was less than a mile away. That would give me a decent workout before I even got into the water. I was happy to get back in the routine of swimming. My bruises had all healed and gone away so in my suit no one notice anything unusual.

Jake had practice after school, so I would normally hit the pool again so that I was in top form for the season. Then we would meet and do homework at Hope's house with Tim. The four of us had the same teachers and we were in a lot of classes together, but even if we were not, the assignments were pretty much the same from one class to another. We were all pretty good students, but it was nice to be able to bounce ideas and questions off each other. Every once in a while, he would reach over and hold my hand or reach over and tuck my hair behind my ear so he could see my face and I would just look up and smile. It was getting easier being with him and I was no longer having to remind myself that I was safe. I knew I was safe.