ix

9.

Inuzuka Hana was having a pretty good day.

It's her birthday after all, and although she overheard one of her cousins whisper that it's for political purposes and renewing hope and stuff, she's still happy because her aunts and uncles cooked all of her favorite food!

Her birthday cake was really big!

It was awesome.

Until it wasn't.

-----

"Hi-hi! I'm Inuzuka Hana," she chirped happily. "What's your name?"

The pretty girl with the most chocolatey shade of brown eyes Hana had ever seen just glanced at her blankly before turning her head away. "Hn."

Hana pouted. Why was the choco-eyed girl ignoring her? Is something wrong?

Maybe she's just grumpy.

Kaa-san gets like that sometimes. Hana nodded knowingly to herself. Nothing a good slice of cake couldn't fix.

"What's your name?" Hana repeated, beaming. "Do you like cakes? My uncle Gaku made some. It's really," She stressed. "really good!"

Hana faltered when the girl didn't respond but she once again persisted. "It's not fattening if that's what you're worried about."

She deflated when the pretty girl just turned to walk away.

Hana just wanted the girl to be her friend.

Is there something wrong with her?

Hana looked down sadly, fidgeting with the sleeves of her yukata. Ignoring the urge to cry because she's an Inuzuka and Inuzuka's don't do that, she debated going to the others instead. Before she could do so, however, Hana suddenly heard the pretty girl speak up.

"Kyo-" The girl said haltingly, kind of hesitant. "Shikari. Nara Shikari." The choco-eyed girl glared at nowhere in particular. "Hn."

Looking up in hope, Hana couldn't stop the giggle that escaped out of her mouth when she saw the mutinous pout on the girl's lips.

"You're just shy!" Hana declared with a look of realization on her face. "Like a small puppy, aww," She huffed earnestly. "I'll protect ya'. I'm bigger than you, you know. You're in my pack now."

With cheeks puffed up in irritation, Shikari shot her a scowl - obviously disagreeing with the comment.

"I understand, Shikari-san," Hana patted the girl's arm in what she hoped to be a comforting manner. "You don't have to say it. I'm your friend now. You know," She whispered conspiratorially, leaning in. "It's my birthday today. We have lots a' good food! I can introduce you to our really cute puppies, eat cake and play all sorts of things."

Hana slung her arms on her new friend's shoulders, ignoring the way Shikari seemed to be backing away while looking almost frantically at her own kaa-san.

As she slowly dragged a squirming Shikari in her arms, Hana noticed the worried look on Shikari's Mama's face. In an attempt to soothe the woman, she announced earnestly. "It's okay, oba-san. I'll take care of Shikari! Promise!"

Strangely, Shikari's kaa-san didn't seem to be pacified.

-----

It wasn't-

It wasn't awesome anymore because it became better than awesome!

She had good food, a cake, puppies and now,

Hana's playing hide and seek with her new best friend!

(Although Hana was confused when the game started, but never mind. She's sure she'll find the wayward pup.)