1.05

Opal opened her eyes, the light shining into the tent

Opal opened her eyes, the light shining into the tent. She stretched and got out of her sleeping bag. Her back was sore from sleeping so close to the cold, hard ground.

She cracked her neck and knuckles and stood up. She was surprised that she could stand fully in the tent. She finally stumbled out of the tent. Most of the group was already awake surprisingly.

Lori, Carol and two kind women Opal had met last night, Amy's sister, Andrea and a dark skinned woman, Jacqui, were all hanging up wet laundry . They all smiled as Opal approached.

"Morning! How'd you sleep?" Lori asked, a chirpy smile on her face.

"As good as I can now a days," Opal said, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"that's good." Lori hung up another rung out shirt, "Rick is still asleep. I remember before that he'd always be awake first, he'd never need an alarm."

Opal smiled, she loved reminiscing about the past, just the happy parts though.

"Speak of the damn Devil," Lori said as Rick approached the women, in a clean white t-shirt. "Good morning, Officer." Lori continued.

Opal glanced at Andrea with an amused face. Andrea laughed lightly.

The couple shared a quick peck on the lips and it brought Opal back to when her and her ex-abuser, Jeremy and her first started their relationship. They used to be so lovey dovey, it probably grossed out the ones around them. She sighed and tapped her foot until Rick finally left.

"Could I help?" Opal asked, "I've got nothing better to do."

"Sure hun," Jacqui said, a motherly smile on her face.

"here, you can take my spot," Andrea said. It was obvious that she didn't want to do this work. Even though there wasn't anything else to do.

Then, there was a child's scream.

"Mom!" it was Carl.

"Mommy!" Sophia.

Everybody sprinted to the screams. Carl ran into his mother's arms and Sophia followed his actions, fear forced fears coming out of her eyes.

"My deer!" It was Daryl.

Opal took a deep breath, he was back. And her was gonna be pissed that his brother wasn't there.

Rick looked at the dead zombie, then to the group, making eye contact with Opal. He saw her discomfort and had a questioning look on his face.

"It's Daryl," she said silently.

Rick's face fell.

The hunter walked out of the woods, staring at the group.

He sighed at the deer and threw a curse word at the walker that had ate part of it. It's head was bashed in, blood spurting everywhere. He started to walk to the middle of camp, shouting his brother's name