1.01

Opal ran through the woods, twigs, and leaves hitting her face repeatedly

Opal ran through the woods, twigs, and leaves hitting her face repeatedly. She could feel small bubbles of blood form on her face.

Her hair continuously got in her way, but she had to ignore it.

The wild humans were chasing her.

She didn't know how much longer she could run for. She'd been running for who knows how long.

She looked behind herself, trying to see if the bad things were still chasing her. They certainly still were chasing her.

Her jacket was weighing her down, she wasn't at her full speed.

She slugged of her large, army green jacket that she had found at a local shop, sending it to the group to get trampled on by bloodied people.

She started to look for trees to climb if she could even climb a tree. Nobody had ever taught her anything about survival.

She couldn't find any trees that were easy for Opal to climb.

"Come on, come on Opal. Find a dang tree," she muttered to herself, still searching for a nice enough tree.

She huffed as she couldn't find one easily enough.

She was too out of breath. Opal got light headed and she knew that she needed to stop running soon.

Opal's eyes lit up as she saw a light and smoke. Fire.

She started to run as fast as she could, trying to get to the source.

She ran through a bush, seeing a man sitting near the fire.

He looked at her, a glare on his dirty and hurt face.

"Things, they're coming, that way," Opal breathed, she was out of breath and needed some water.

The man stood, he reached out to Opal, "come on, I'll take you to my camp. But you've got to help me carry my things."

Opal nodded, understanding.

The man handed her a bag. Opal put it around her shoulders.

She ended up having to carry three bags.

"Could I please have some water maybe?" Opal asked politely when they started to jog to wherever they were going.

The man nodded and reached in his back pocket, "I'm Daryl."

Opal took a gulp of water from the canister that Daryl had handed her, "my name's Opal."

Daryl nodded, "you can hold that, we should go faster. I think they're catching up."

Opal nodded, and the duo started to speed up. She looked behind and saw the group of things following them.

"Where are we going?" Opal asked, staying next to Daryl as they started to run slowly.

"My camp. It's got to be close. Hopefully, we'll lose the walkers soon," Daryl explained.

A look of confusion entered Opal's face, "walkers?"

"Walkers, that's what I call 'em. What do you call them?" the rugged man asked, looking ahead of himself.

"I don't really have a name for them. I was just really introduced to them," she told, looking down for a second before looking back up.

Daryl wondered how Opal could just be introduced to walkers. The world had been decaying for almost a month.

"Why haven't you seen them at all?"

"Well, I had seen them. Just I never really knew what they were or why they were dangerous."

Daryl nodded, "why weren't you involved with any of this until recently?" Daryl asked, he knew he was probably asking too many questions, but this was a stranger that he did not know at all.

"Well," Opal took another drink of water before continuing. "My boyfriend always kept me inside since it started. He never told me what happened, or why I couldn't go outside. He always just said 'i don't want you to get hurt.' Which is very ironic now that I say it."

Opal chuckled as Daryl stopped running and looked at Opal, "how is it ironic?"

"Oh, uh, well he used to hit me," she explained. Opal had never told anybody that secret. Lance always told her that if she told anybody he would do something.

Daryl clenched the bag he was holding, his knuckles turned white. He started to grind his teeth. Nobody should ever have to be hurt by somebody. Not on purpose. Daryl already started to hate a man that he'd never even met.

"I think that we lost the walkers. I think we can walk now," Daryl said, changing the subject. He didn't want to think of Opal getting hurt. Not at all.

Opal nodded, she felt as if she had done something bad, "Daryl, did I do something? Is it something I said? You seem upset."

Daryl looked at Opal, "no. I'm fine."

Opal nodded, she acted as if she believed him.

Daryl was glad that Opal didn't push him at all.

Daryl was glad that he was bringing Opal home with him.

-

How was the first chapter?

I'm quite proud honestly.

I hope you liked it too.

Let's be honest, I'm not going to update every day. Just when I maybe feel like it.