Chapter Twenty - Six

If you have tissues, I suggest you break them out.   If you are emotional like I am...I hope this chapter moves you like it did for me.  

As promised....another chapter for you, for all of you wanting to know!!!

Enjoy!  S  xo

Chapter Twenty - Six

James’ POV

I have a bad feeling, an awful feeling that I just cannot shake.  

We were in the middle of changing into our gym clothes when the alarms went.   Whoever was changed already, ran out of the doors, the rest of us just finished changing quickly and left as well.  Most of us thought it was a drill that was for practice but when the announcer over the PA system came on saying there was a fire in the cafeteria, we all hustled our butts to get out of the school.

Matt and I were walking towards the field where when we’ve practiced fire drills before in the past, we’ve had to find our homeroom teacher, line up so that they could take roll call.  Zach and Andy were not far behind us, all four of us had gym class together.

My gut was saying something was wrong, that Sophia...she should be okay, she’s suppose to be with Isobel.  I’m sure they made it out.   I looked back over my shoulder and I could see the dark smoke billowing over the school like a dark cloud.   Must be some kitchen fire, I hope all of the kitchen staff got out okay.

As we finally started approaching the students all line up, I noticed that we were getting a lot of looks.  People were staring at us and I couldn’t understand why?   I could see Mrs. Fizz just up ahead, she didn’t look like her normal chipper self.   She seemed nervous, she was holding her clipboard close to her chest, biting her nails.  I thought that was kind of odd.  The fire department was here already, I could see the trucks and the firemen making their way already into the school.  I’m sure they will put the fire out quickly.  There were a bunch of firemen around the students as well.

That’s when I saw her, Isobel.   She was being restrained by two firemen, she was screaming at the top of her lungs, tears streaming down her face, struggling to get free from them.........”She’s still in there.  Let me go....my sister is still in there!”

“We’ll find her,” one of the firemen said reassuring her, but it wasn’t working.  I watched as Isobel kicked one of the firemen in the leg and broke free.  She ran towards the school screaming her sister’s name.

That’s when it hit me.  

She was still in there, she didn’t make it out.   I didn’t even think, I took off so fast, I could hear Matt following me, I’m guessing Zach and Andy as well.   Isobel was very loud, everyone around could hear her.   Now I could hear others shouting at us as well, telling us to come back, that the school wasn’t safe.  The students were in an uproar right now, I could hear more screaming, but I wasn’t about to stop.

I didn’t care, there wasn’t anything that anyone could do or say that would keep me out of the burning school if Sophia was still in there.

I threw open one of the side doors and was immediately accosted with black smoke.  I started coughing and choking, but it didn’t stop me, nor the others that were following.   I started heading towards where her locker was, I wasn’t sure where she would be or how she got separated from her sister, but it was starting point.

“Sophia!” I screamed her name running down one of the halls.  My eyes were searching for her everywhere, I had no clue where she could be?  Zach, Matt, and Andy....of them were calling her name as well.