4) The One Where She's A Big Girl

Beca and Chloe sat on a park bench watching Beatrice play after school. Usually they would take the time to chat about their day or laugh at whatever mess Bea had gotten herself into on the play equipment. But not today. Today was different.

Beca's knee bounced anxiously up and down, getting faster and faster. And the quicker her knee got, the quicker her breathing got. But Beca was too hyped up to notice any of this.

Of course, Chloe immediately did. She slipped her fingers in between Beca's own, letting their hands sit entwined on Beca's lap. Beca's head snapped quickly over to look at Chloe, shooting her a tense smile before turning back to look at Beatrice.

"Hey, it's okay." Chloe whispered softly Chloe to Beca's ear. She put her other hand directly over Beca's knee, stopping it from bouncing anymore. "We've got this."

Beca nodded mutely, shuffling her body over so that she slotted into Chloe. Chloe smiled into Beca's hair, squeezing Beca's hand and knee supportively.

They sat like that for a while. Beca focused on Chloe's steady heartbeat, letting her own sync up. Finally she felt grounded again. The panicked feeling subsided, although her anxiety didn't waver. Not this time.

"What if she hates us?" Beca choked out finally. Chloe looked at Beca in surprise. "What if she doesn't understand?"

"She's a big girl now, Beca. She can handle it," Chloe promised, kissing Beca's cheek. "I promise."

Beatrice looked over at the two women from the top of the climbing wall. She waved enthusiastically with one hand, clinging on tightly with the other.

Once she was sure she had Beca and Chloe's attention, Beatrice looked down. Her face was full of concentration. She bit her lip, just like Beca did when she was anxious.

Beca watched her daughter closely, waiting for the usual shout:

"Momma! I'm stuck!"

But it never came.

Instead Beatrice slowly began placing one foot behind the other. Carefully, carefully she began easing herself down from the climbing frame. Her little hands grasped the wall tightly, she bit down on her lip so hard it went white. But she kept on going, not looking up at Beca once.

"She's doing it..." Beca whispered, not quite believe it. "She's actually doing it!"

Chloe felt all the blood stop circulation around her fingers as Beca suddenly squeezed her hand so hard in both of Beca's own. She looked over at Beca, grinning. Beca was nearly off her seat with pride.

Beatrice took one last look at the ground, instead of at her feet. She assessed how far away she was from it. Not far. A couple more scurries downwards. And then she dropped, landing shakily on her feet.

Beca jumped up, cheering. Chloe stood up too, clapping hard. Beatrice spun around to face them, red in the face and happy.

"Momma! Momma, look! I did it on my own!" She cried, her face beaming with pride.

"You did it, kiddo!" Beca yelled, running over to Beatrice.

She scooped her daughter up in a tight hug, spinning the girl around and around.

Chloe hung back, filming the whole encounter on her phone. She felt tears in the back of her eyes at the beautiful sight.

Then, once she had composed herself, Chloe walked over to where Beca and Beatrice were standing. She didn't rush, happy just to let Beca and Beatrice have a moment together.

Beca had Beatrice on her hip, even though Chloe had told her time and time again that Beatrice was getting far too big for that.

Beatrice had her arms around Beca's neck, but they were out straight so that Beatrice could see Beca's face as she retold the story of The Terrifying Climb Down The Climbing Wall.