Heartache

A week later, Olivia Gilmore was sat in Luke's diner, sipping a cup of coffee absentmindedly. She was past the lie-in-bed-eating-Ben-and-Jerry's-ice-cream-and-watch-sad-movies stage of the break up, now she was in the stage where she "acts like she's ok but she's really not" which involves coffee and lots of it.

She was vaguely aware of someone sitting opposite her, but took no interest in who it was and what they were saying, and a minute later, they sighed and walked away.

Lorelai walked to the counter from where her youngest daughter was sat, and shrugged at Luke.

"No good. Have you spoken to Jess?" She asked her husband.

"I went to his apartment twice, the first time he was hungover, the second he stunk of vodka, beer and god knows what else," he told her.

"Poor things," Lorelai sighed.

"They miss each other," Luke stated, "it'll work out."

"I hope so, for both of their sakes."

They heard the bell ring behind them, and instinctively turned to see Olivia walked out of the diner.

She made her way to the bridge, where she sat and pulled out her purse, where a picture of her and Jess lived.

It was from their Christmas party, the first one they'd had since they'd moved into their apartment. They were facing the camera and pulling ridiculous faces.

Wiping the tears from off of her face, she slotted the picture back in her purse and buried her face in her hands, which is how Rory found her half an hour later.

—————————————————

Jess lay on his sofa, staring at the ceiling. He hadn't been in his bed since...that night. It reminded him of her. Her smell, her smile, everything. He could barely go into their room without breaking down.

Luke had been over twice, each time he'd expected a lecture, to be told that drinking wouldn't help anything. But he just gave him a pitying smile, tidied up a bit and left.

He didn't want anyone to know how bad he was taking it, how much it hurt. Because it did. It hurt. His world had been ripped away from him. That's what you get, he told himself, you thought that you could be so happy and it would last. Nothing ever lasts for you.

He took another swig of his beer.

————————————————

The day after, Jess decided it was time to get his ass down to Stars Hollow, show everyone he was still going to be around. He walked into Luke's and sat at the counter by his Uncle and Lorelai.

"Hey, guys," he said.

"Jess! How are you? We weren't expecting you today!" Luke smiled.

"Yeah, well I was bored. Tired of being stuck in the apartment," he shrugged.

"How are you holding up?" Lorelai asked him.

"Me? Fine, yeah," he lied, "and, erm how is..."

"She's getting better," she smiled.

"I'm surprised, Lorelai," he admitted.

"Surprised?" She asked.

"Yeah," he smirked, "I kept thinking you were going to barge into my room with a rifle or rope or something."

"Jess, you did nothing wrong," she smiled.

"Yeah..." Jess said, awkwardly.

"Coffee?" Luke asked.

"Sure."

"Jess, Lorelai, I was talking to Jess."

—————————————————

Olivia was mooching through the chocolate isle in Taylor's sweet shop, by the window that looks into Luke's. Gazing through the window, she noticed Jess sat at the counter near her mom.

He looked tired, like he hadn't properly slept for a week. His leather jacket sat on his shoulders, a book poking out of his pocket. She followed his hands as they brought the cup of coffee to his mouth, which was open slightly as he sipped the steaming drink.

"Pull yourself together. You're not with him anymore, and you ended it. You," she muttered to herself, causing a few kids to look at her strangely. She continued to take chocolate off the shelves and into her basket, hurriedly paying and walking out of the shop.

As she walked down the street, her mom ran to catch up with her.

"Hey sweetie. You ok there?" Lorelai asked her.

She stopped to face her mother, "Yes, mom, I'm fine. How are you?" She retorted. She hated that question; she'd heard it too many times.

"I'm good. Do you know who's not good?"

"Not really," Liv shrugged.

"Jess."

"Right," Liv turned and started walking away.

"He misses you," Lorelai called.

Liv sighed, stopped and said, "I miss him too."

"Go back there then. Go back and tell him that," her mother pleaded.

"I can't, mom. I can't, because I broke up with him. And I don't even know why! I panicked, I was scared, so I broke up with him. But I love him, I love him so much. I do wanna marry him, but I can't say that now, it's too late," She was now crying, screaming, hysterically.

Lorelai walked to her daughter, hugging her, "shh, it's ok," she told her, "it's not too late."

—————————————————

It was almost dark, and Jess supposed he should probably get back to the apartment, he needed to be at work early.

After saying bye to Luke, he walked to his car that was parked out front.

"Wait!" Liv called to him, "please, I need to talk to you!"

"I need to go," he said.

"Please, let me talk to you for a minute," she begged him.

"One minute," he sighed, leaning against his car.

"I'm sorry. I've been a mess, I've been sat on my bed, eating ice cream and watching sad, black and white films all week. All week, I've been asking myself over and over why I'd said no, why I'd let the best thing that had ever happened to me get away, and do you know what I came up with?" She paused, "Nothing! I came up with nothing. I've hated myself ever since! Because I love you. I miss you, Jess, and I'm sorry," she cried. They stood in silence, and she wiped her tears before turning and walking away.

"Olivia," Jess said.

"Jess?"

"Come home," he begged.

"Gladly," she smiled walking back to the car.

Before she got in, he grabbed her hand and turned her to face him.

"I love you," he said, and kissed her.

She rested one hand on his shoulder, and the other cupped the back of his neck. Jess had both of his hands firmly on her waist. Reluctantly, they pulled away.

"Let's go home," Liv smiled.

Hi everyone! Over 200 reads, wow, I didn't actually think anyone was gonna read this!!! Keep voting and commenting ☺️ not sure how this chapter is, I didn't want them to be apart too long haha. Update soon xoxo