Chapter 30 |1|

~Vesper~

After a talk, Circe and MB go away separately from us to complete their part of the mission. Seemingly losing their appetite, I see MB throw away his barely eaten pretzel.

"They went to the carousel," Talon says, "I think for the girl to get a ride."

I nod, about to follow behind Talon, but I stop halfway. I stand directly in front of the Fleming fountain, gazing upon the lone, scratched penny at the bottom.

Something about the fountain water... it doesn't look right. The color was slightly odd and a faint smell drifted from it. I turn away before the smell hits me with full intensity.

If I don't, I can have a trigger. A trigger that can destroy me again and shoot me back to square one.

I definitely don't want that.

Before I walk off, I spy a wallet lying in the dust. Someone lost it and probably searching for it. Wisely, I look inside for any identification. When I find it, I pocket the wallet and go to Talon who is arguing with the carousel owner.

"Why can't I go on?!" whines Talon.

"This ride is for kids only."

"According to the law, I am a kid!"

"Small kids, boy!" rages the carousel owner, his moustache a -bristling.

Talon turns to me and begs, "Feisty, tell him to let me on the horsie thingie!!"

I turn my back on him. "You must have me mixed up with someone else. Do I know you?"

"FEISTY?!"

"You're too heavy for the unicorn Dum-Dum!"

"BUT I WANNA RIDE THE HORSIE!!"

I feel a blush crawl up my neck as people turn and stare at the boy who speaks fluent Whinese. The owner is patting his bald head with a handkerchief; wiping perspiration. Children, including the little girl, are giggling a-top their rides. I can't let this boy ruin the night. I promised we'll have a good time!

In a spur of the moment I ask the owner, "How much is for the ride?"

"Five bucks per turn kid but-"

I stuff twenty bucks in his hand barely feeling regret. "Two turns for the bawling banshee."

"HEY!"

"Do you want to ride or not?!"

Talon keeps quiet.

With haste, the owner stuffs my money in his pocket and I push sulking Talon unto a pink unicorn. "Enjoy."

I walk up to the old man, who is sitting on the bench a little way off. "I think you dropped this sir."

The old man looks at the strange girl handing him his wallet, a bit startled. He calms down as quickly. "Thanks dear."

Sitting down beside him, I admire the glowing carousel. The toy unicorns and pegasi bob up and down as the children scream and laugh in excitement.

"You know another kid would have picked up my wallet and kept it to themselves." He opens his wallet for me to see. "They would have taken my five hundred dollar pension for the month and spent it."

"I'm not like other kids, sir."

"I know that. Something is special about you."

We lapse into a comfortable silence. The little girl rides on the pegasus, giving a wide smile that can cost more than anything in the world.